Eye Eye Captain

"Sometimes I feel guilty, you know. We constantly hand Masumi off to okaa-san to be looked after. When was the last time he slept with us, and not okaa-san? I feel like I'm failing him as a father, especially because I take up so much of your time as well. You should be doing stuff with him, but there I am, a useless lump who needs your help all the time. Is it weird to feel bad for stealing away my own son's mother?"

"Don't say that!" Haruki scolded Shisui as she helped him into bed one night, taking care not to accidentally hit any of his broken bones as she tucked him in. Shisui grimaced as Haruki pulled the blanket over him, before she trudged over to her side of the bed and slid in. "It won't be for much longer, anyway. You should be up and about in no time."

"I'm such a burden," sighed Shisui, aware of the great lengths Haruki was constantly taking to focus on his care. From failing to give Masumi the adequate attention he required to pushing herself to her physical extremes, Shisui wondered how on earth Haruki hadn't gotten fed up with caring for a big man baby like him. "I'm really sorry, Haru-chan."

"Don't be," said Haruki, shaking her head as she reached over to her bedside table and turned off their lamp. The room was immediately plunged into darkness, leaving the couple in the cool, calm blackness that had followed. "You should get some rest. You're almost there, Shisui. Everything will be fine. We're managing, and that's all that matters. Stop worrying."

"I know this is a dumb question, Haru-chan, but... why are you so patient with me? Why... why do you care so much?"

"First of all, you're right, that was a dumb question. But I'll answer it anyway. You're my husband for a reason, Shisui. I love you, and I'd do anything for you. Of course, I'd do anything for Masumi and any of our children as well, but at a time like this you're the one who needs me the most. I want to make sure you get well as soon as possible not just for myself, but for the rest of our family as well. Who knows how close I was to becoming husbandless? Or how close our children were to becoming fatherless? All we want is for you to get better so that you can go back to being the kickass shinobi you were before. Of course, going on less dangerous missions, that is."

"It was a dumb question, but you answered it so beautifully," grinned Shisui with a sigh, reaching out and taking one of Haruki's hands in his own. "You won't lose me, Haru-chan. At least, not as easily as I lost my eye."

"Shisui!" groaned Haruki, rolling her eyes at Shisui's attempts to make humour about his current physical state.

"What can I say? I guess eye didn't see it coming."

"Isn't it bad enough that you have to walk around wearing an eyepatch so you don't scare Masumi? Now you have to make lame jokes too?"

"The eye and the patch have opened up so many doors, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know how many pirate jokes I have up my sleeve for when I go back to work?"

"Pirate... oh my god." Haruki facepalmed as she sat with her back against the headboard, shaking her head in disbelief. "They still have no word on where the hell those shinobi went off to with your eye?"

"No eye-dea."

Haruki groaned once more, with Shisui's snickering increasing as she pulled her hand out of his.

"I'm tired, let's get some rest," sighed Haruki, making herself comfortable in her seated position as she shoved more pillows behind her back. "Goodnight, Shisui. Go to sleep."

"Eye eye, captain."

"... I love you, but honestly..."

"You mean, eye love you?"

"One more joke and eye'll make sure it's your last."

"Well played, my love." Shisui smiled softly as he leaned over and kissed Haruki on the cheek, making her flush in embarrassment as he curled up next to her. "Goodnight, Haru-chan. I love you."

"Goodnight, Shisui. I love you too."