Chapter 19

Okay I'm so so so sorry that these updates are taking longer than usual... But there is a break coming up, so I know I can write more then. So just hold on a little longer... School is hard on me right now and i have these big exams and personal projects coming up... oh boy, yeah...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Vanessa's POV

After a while of tossing ideas back and forth, we decided that it would be best if we just all relaxed and then came back to the topic. I back into the tent and sat in the middle of it, looking at the tent flap blankly. Trying to clear my head wasn't working out exactly the way I hoped.

The twins decided that I should hold onto the gem, which I objected at first. But then they whined until I took it. I sighed and agreed, not wanting to snap at them. I reached into my pocket and brought out the gem.

The encased stone was glowing gently, and staring at it long enough gave me a headache. Plus, I was starting to hear a voice call out to me. It kept on saying that I should look at it without the encasing. After experiencing excruciating pain, I decided that the voice wasn't exactly in my favor.

"Vanessa?" I heard a voice softly call out suddenly. I relaxed once I realized that it was Aileen. The banshee floated into the tent and hovered next to me. She looked at me with a worried expression. "Are you okay? You seem very worried about something... I know it's a dumb que-" I cut her off, chuckling.

"Don't worry, Aileen. After we figure out how to destroy the gem, we need to get rid of the insanity in Calypso and we'll-" I heard a soft, malicious laugh. "I find my 'insanity', or as I like to call it, my new power, quite enthralling. It's such a beautiful thing, you know."

I turned around and my eyes widened. "Calypso..." I breathed out. Aileen let out a strangled breath, and when I turned to her, I saw that she went limp. "Ai-Aileen?" I whispered out softly, my eyes slowly widening. I grabbed her by her shoulders, which were surprisingly solid, and shook her body. "Aileen, w-wake up!" I said, terrified of what that witch did.

My head snapped to Calypso, who was looking onto the scene before her. I growled, asking with a dangerously low voice, "What... did you do... to her..." She hummed in response. "Hm? What was that?"

I snapped, letting angry tears escape my eyes. I marched up to her face and grabbed her by the front of her torn dress. "What did you do to her!?" I screamed at her, hating how she was speaking as if she were the innocent one in this situation. Calypso looked behind me at Aileen, plucking my hands off of her dress.

"Oh, I just killed her. She was just a stupid baby banshee. It was my mistake for bringing her here. She had no use to me and her mother failed me," she said. I stared at her blankly for a moment. It didn't dawn on me that this... this thing has no humanity or compassion left within her.

Calypso was able to kill a child, monster or not, without blinking her eyes. She isn't even fighting the insanity. She's embracing it like it's nothing. I didn't even realize that I had sunk to my knees. "Oh, come on... Don't tell me that thing grew on you? Well, don't worry, at least it's soul gets to stay in the pits of it's hell until it's reincarnated. Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for me, I'll destroy your soul. You won't even make it to the Underworld."

I felt a small prod against my neck and I winced. It was hard enough to leave behind a slightly painful throbbing sensation. Everything started to become hazy and I looked up, seeing Calypso's grin. She seemed to be frothing and her eyes were shaking, unable to focus on one thing. "What did you...." I couldn't finish my sentence before falling face first in front of her feet. The last thing I heard was Calypso's sickly sweet voice.

"How humiliating... Sweet dreams, brat."

----

I gasped and tried to sit up straight as soon as I woke up. But I couldn't do it. I was pulled back and I groaned, hitting my head against the ground. "Gods..." I slowly sat up, wincing as I felt blood dripping down my neck.

"... Vanessa?" I heard a soft whisper to my left. Nico. I turned to him and I let out a relieved sigh. "Oh thank gods you're okay... Nico... She..." I teared up.

I hate this. I hate having to keep up this cold facade. Like nothing was getting to me. "I can't do this Nico... Not after... Not after Ken and Aileen..." I curled up, my tears falling. I couldn't do this. I really can't.

Suddenly there was the sound of shackles shifting to my right. I looked over, my vision hazy with tears. Once my vision was cleared up, I saw that it was Victoria. "... D-Dad..." she whimpered out, seeing that she was back in her shackles.

I reached out. "Vi-Victoria... That's you, right?" I said softly. Victoria nodded slowly. Nico was struggling on my other side. Our weapons were just in front of us, teasing us with their potential aid. "... Gods!" he shouted, which woke up the others in a surprise.

"Whaa!" the twins shouted, obviously terrified. "... What the heck Nico..." I said, glaring at him. By now, my tears had dried themselves. I felt the streaks where my tears used to be. I tried to rub my eyes against my shoulder, but I couldn't reach it. Well, I supposed I'll feel crusty for now.

Nico looked around. "Alright... Kayla?" "Here...." "Charlie? Jack?" "Here." "Hmm." I let out another sigh of relief. The witch didn't kill anyone else.

But that all changed as soon as she walked out from the shadows.