Chapter 18

I look at him with wide eyes. Underneath us? Why did he receive the dream instead of me? I look at the ground. "Are you sure? Did it show you where exactly?"

"Devon shook me awake before I could see," he said. Ah, so this is Damion. I nodded and sighed. "Alright, um... Nico, do you think you can do something about it? I think before I left camp, I heard people calling you the ambassador of Pluto. I don't know if that means you can-"

Before I could finish, though, Nico was already getting onto the ground. "I asked Hazel how she unearthed a lot of precious stones before... Let's see if I can do it now," Nico said with a hint of nervousness.

I made sure that everyone moved away enough so that they wouldn't disrupt him or get hurt. My mind wandered back to what he said. Hazel... Who's Hazel? I'm guessing she's a friend of his. I'll ask later.

Suddenly, the ground starting shaking. Then this huge pressure on my head and shoulder was pressing me down. Everyone seemed to be fine though, just unstable on their feet. I, on the other hand, feel like my head is getting split open. Everything stings like a freezing fire is spreading over me.

I don't know when I start screaming. My lungs started so I took a deep breath, but that only hurt. Why does it hurt!? I felt someone grab me and pull me into their arms. Nico. I opened my eyes, and whimpered as the sun hit my eyes.

"Nico, it hurts... It hurts!" I said. I didn't know what else to do. I wanted to die right then and there. Nothing else compared to the pain I'm feeling now.

"Sh... sh... I think you're reacting to the Gem... Van... You need to help is find it. I unearthed all the precious stones I could. Please...." Nico whispered, stroking my head softly. I curled up, the burning sensation ending as soon as I relaxed. I slowly started to calm my breaths and closed my eyes.

I needed a break after all.

----

"...essa... Vanessa! Gods! This girl can sleep!" I heard a voice say. I groaned, a mild headache hitting me as soon as I tried to sit up. My vision was hazy, but that didn't matter. I wanted to make sure that everyone else was fine.

"Nico?" I asked softly, squinting as I looked at the person who woke me up. The person, who I realized isn't Nico, laughed and said, "No, its Victoria. Sorry. Nico is organizing some stuff and left me in charge of you."

Soon, my vision cleared and I could see that it was actually Victoria. I sighed in relief. "I take it no one is hurt or something?" Victoria nodded. "If anything, you were the only one who was injured... But uh... What happened?"

I shrugged. Honestly, I don't know why I reacted that violently and that painfully to the gem arising. "Nico told me that I was reacting to the gem's presence," I said, a little unsure if that was the true explanation or not. I looked around. Looks like someone has set up a tent and Nico put me in here. "No offense, but why did you leave you in charge of me? He doesn't really trust so quickly."

She smirked. "I know you guys can't stand Kayla. And don't worry, I won't tell her. I get it. She's a little... overbearing." I snorted. 'Overbearing' doesn't even begin to describe her. I suddenly hear someone enter the tent and I smile, seeing that it's Nico.

"Thanks Victoria. Could you finish up the rest of the sorting out?" Victoria nodded and eagerly went off to do her given task. I really hope Victoria makes it. I want to become better friends with her. The others too. They, in all honesty, blindly trusted us. There's nothing wrong with that, but it just shows me how incredibly loyal they are. No one has come to their aid before us. And now that we did save them, they still want to save the same people that forgot them.

Wow, okay, getting a little too emotional and deep, Vanessa.

Nico sat next to me and brushed away the hair that fell in front of my eyes. It made me smile softly. We have a chance of working out.

"How're you feeling right now? Does anything hurt? Did you see any dreams?" Nico asked, worry etching his features. I giggled. "I'm fine, Nico. I swear. I feel so much better. As for dreams... I remember that I saw something, but it was hazy. I can't remember it. Maybe it wasn't important. One of those regular, mortal dreams that mean nothing."

Nico looked uneasy, but nodded anyway. "Alright, if you say so." He then brightens up again. "I think we found the gem. We, uh, kinda saw which gem you reacted to in your sleep. Don't worry, the twins have put it in this light cage thing. It doesn't seem to be bothering you anymore, so I'm guessing it's working."

I nodded and smiled. "Can I see it?" I asked, tilting my head in curiosity. Nico nodded and stood up before offering me a hand. "Of course. Let's go."

----

I walked out and suddenly had the twins run up to me. They were taller than me, but they were just like little children. "Vanessa! You're okay! You were out for a really long time!" Damion, I think, said. The other-Devon?- nodded and continued off from there. "Yeah! And look! We wanted to make sure you wouldn't get hurt by it anymore. So we did this."

The two carefully handed me a sphere like thing. "It burn your eyes a little, but if you look carefully and long enough, you can see the gem perfectly clear... See? That greenish hue. That's the gem."

My eyes widened. It was so beautiful. Something jewelers would want to get their hands on for their works. It's too bad something so beautiful has to be helping someone so evil. I gently stroked it. "Too bad it's helping Erebus do something so terrible... It's gonna be a shame to destroy this."

Suddenly everything got quiet. Jack was the first to speak up. "Um... How are we supposed to destroy this without getting the attention of Calypso?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. Once again, all eyes turned to me. I can't get a break, can I?

I bit my lip. "Well... I guess I can maybe create a shielding around us. If we can't escape, may as well survive. I'll make sure no magic can infiltrate it." I looked around. Everyone slowly nodded. Oh great, my idea was the only idea.

"But how do we safely destroy this thing?" Kayla asked. I looked up at the sky. It was now dark, and I could see the beautiful stars once again. Dad, please what do I do? I don't even know about you and now I have to save you... Please send me a sign of what I need to do..."

Calypso, 3rd Person POV

Calypso watched eagerly as the twins had binded the gem in a case of light. To stop that girl from enduring sheer pain... Don't worry, I'll be able to make you all feel worse, demi-brats.

The deranged witch grabbed one of her spears. It still had that other boy's blood. What was his name? Carlos? Kent? It doesn't matter. Calypso shrugged and licked the end of the spear. She shivered in delight; the blood had a sweet yet tangy flavor.

She started laughing. "Those pests can't escape from me, the Calypso of Ogygia! This is my island, my domain." Suddenly, her eyes darkened. "And I always get what I want. No puny demigod will stop that."