Chapter 14

After convincing the group of six that my team isn't as terrifying as they seem, they proceeded to follow us outside of the cave towards the opposite side of the lake. There, we all rested for a moment. I definitely needed it after I closed off the entrance to the cave- which, thankfully, no one saw.

Once we stopped, everyone turned to me. Charlie was staring directly into my soul. Kayla was smiling, clearly content with how the sun was shining on her already sun-kissed skin. Jack, which I later learned was the name of Victoria's dad, was scanning the area. Meanwhile, the twins were holding onto Victoria, who just rolled her eyes. "Okay, so what now?"

I smiled sheepishly. "I... I really don't know. I now know that you guys are the group of people who will band with us... But... Now, I'm completely lost..." I said, my gaze drifting to the ground.

Kayla glared at me. "How will you even be a go-" Her complaints were cut off with a loud rumble. The ground shook, knocking most of us off of our feet. Nico and Charlie managed to stay upright with the help of the trees and boulders surrounding us.

Wait.

When did this lake have boulders surrounding it? I clearly remember that this place was just foliage. Barely any trees encircled the lake and waterfall; whatever trees there were resembled palm trees. Now, the thick foliage was replaced with a dense forest. I turned around, my eyes widening. Before me was just a seemingly never ending forest. There was no trace of any lake or waterfall. I can't even hear the rush of the water that I heard moments before.

"Vanessa... What's happening?" Jack asked, his eyes frantic. He glanced at his children and a look of relief passed over his face momentarily. I looked over, making sure that everyone was safe and not injured. Aileen looked at us, confused. "Why did you guys fall?" Aileen asked. I groaned as I got up. I looked at my side, pulling my shirt up a little bit.

A dark bruise was starting to form. I looked at the ground and surely enough, there was a rock there. I sighed and looked at the group. After some quick thinking, I answered Jack.

"Okay, you guys know how this place has all sorts of freaky, weird vibes and powers? Yeah, well. If my thinking is correct, we're in the Grove of Dodona. Don't you feel like it's a living thing? It's kind of like Tartarus... at least, maybe Calypso has enchanted it to make it seem like Tartarus.

"I think, for once, that witch did us a favor. She inadvertently brought Dodona to us..." I said softly, looking over everyone. Nico and Charlie remained stone faced, as always. Victoria and Kayla glanced at each other warily. The twins just spoke to each other quietly, clearly in a heated discussion about something.

Finally, one of them turned to face the rest of us- I think it was Devon- and spoke. "I don't think she did this accidentally. Actually, we both think that she brought the Grove here on purpose. But how does she have this much power?"

"Maybe it was Erebus?" Kayla asked softly. Everyone nodded. I agreed with the girl. Clearly, Erebus loaned her some power, hoping that she'll get us to do her dirty work. The other twin- no, I think this one is Devon... maybe Damion?- glanced at his twin with pride.

"No. It isn't Erebus or even Calypso that brought Dodona to-" Charlie was interrupted, quite rudely with a loud screech. Looking up, we all saw a harpy. And not the ones that I heard about that came to warn us about going to bed back in camp. No, this one was ready to kill us. It had a crazed look in its eyes. I could also tell it was in pain and it wasn't in control.

"Uh... Vanessa...?" Nico asked lowly, grabbing his sword. I nodded. Jack started to grab stones while Victoria got into a fighting position. The others brought out their weapons, which I'm surprised that Calypso didn't take.

The twins both had started to summon some sort of light, which was honestly blinding to look at. Charlie had two long katana-like swords. I noticed that his necklace was gone, so I assumed that his swords were usually hidden in there. Kayla had her bow and arrow, which I'm assuming was hidden by her earrings, which were shaped as her weapon. Convenient.

I brought out my own sword and watched as Nico directed Victoria to follow him. I looked at the twins. "Devon! Damion! Direct the light at the harpy! Try and blind it! Charlie, make sure that the harpy doesn't get to them!"

I heard grunts, and turned to see Jack throwing his stones at the over-sized bird. I then stared the ground, wanting to build some sort of cage. I concentrated on reforming the earth so that the elements within the dirt would become harder. I wanted it to be flexible, but firm so that one I made the cage, it'd stay.

Sadly, the surge of my awesome power was halted the moment I felt a scratch against my shoulder. I gasped in pain but let the adrenaline course through my veins. I angrily glared at the creature as it seemingly smugly stared into my soul. It was taunting me with its beady eyes. The human part of it didn't even look human anymore.

I let out a shout of frustration and started to run towards the harpy, my sword ready to feel blood spill. Suddenly, I was blinded by light- more specifically, the light the twins were summoning. I screamed a little, my eyes burning. "Sorry!" they said together, their voices sheepish. I stood back up and noticed a blurry pair jumping up toward the thing.

Well, since I can't see, might as well help by using my own powers. I started to create an elevator-like moving slab of rock to help the two get to where they needed to get to. Making a pushing movement towards the direction of the struggle, I made sure that the rock was able to catch up with the harpy. I heard whispers, but they were lost to the air around me. Once the pair got to the harpy, I heard a sickening crack of bones being broken. I hoped that it wasn't anyone from my team. I looked up and saw feathers falling towards the ground.

My vision was started to get better and I saw that the harpy was limp against the ground. Victoria was grinning wickedly downwards and went to give Nico, who was helping her in trying to end this, a high five. But he was already walking towards me.

"You okay? You have a pretty bad gash on your shoulders... and I know you can't see anything right now," Nico said, his voice low but caring. I smiled tightly up at him. "I'm just peachy. I love nearly getting blinded while fighting a harpy," I said, rolling my eyes. He chuckled and helped me up. "We're lucky that it was small. Victoria was able to easily snap its neck while I distracted it."

I smiled a bit, looking at the girl in question. She was talking to Kayla, who was sulking. I suppose she also wanted to engage in the battle.

"... Charlie, you were saying something?" I heard Jack say. I turned and saw a ruffed-up Jack, walking towards us. All eyes turned to Charlie. His cheeks were tinted red, but he cleared his throat and spoke. "I think Vanessa brought Dodona to us."