Chapter 25

Vanessa's POV

Everything hurt.

Any movement, even breathing, caused excruciating pain. My skin was dry and started cracking. More of the light from my body was emanating from between the cracks. I don't understand where it's coming from or how I'm producing it, but it doesn't matter--I just want all of this pain to end.

I never thought I'd beg anyone to run me through with a sword but here we are. I gasped for air, feeling like my own ribs were ripping into my lungs. I realized that falling from that height must have broken a few of my ribs and caused them to pierce my lungs.

That's when I felt it. I craned my neck down and saw his sword sticking out from my abdomen. There was a moment of relief before I felt pain again. At least it wasn't as horrible as when my skin was glowing. The cracks were still there but they weren't growing nor glowing.

Coughing, I felt blood pray out of my mouth. The metallic taste made me cringe. I looked up at Nico, who only had terror and desperation painted onto his face. "Vanessa..." he whispered, unable to hide the pain in his voice. I gave him a small smile. "Thank you... You did the right thing, Neeks," I whispered, feeling his thumb wipe away the blood from my lips. He chuckled bitterly and it made me chortle humorlessly. "Don't call me that," he said softly, tears brimming his eyes. "But I'll allow it just this once," he continued, his tears finally falling.

I looked up at him, my own eyes blurring with tears. The life of a demigod is sad. I haven't been a part of this world for long, but at least I'm leaving it having done it a favor. I left an impact. Something I would have never done in my old life. I hope my mother won't be too sad. I hope I made my father proud. I hope Nico can find it in his heart to forgive himself.

With Nico's help, I managed to pull the sword out of my abdomen, wincing as the wound only got bigger. Before I even realized it, my hand grabbed the gem. I gripped it tightly and brought it to my wound. Drop it in. I don't know why that thought keeps on hitting me, but it felt right. I let it go. Instantly, there was the relief I was looking for. There was still pain, but it felt more distant.

"Vanessa? Vanessa, why'd you do that? Where did the gem go?" Nico asked, his eyebrows furrowed. I looked down and noticed that the gem was gone. It's as if it sunk into my wound. But I didn't feel anything. "I... I don't know. I don't even... know why I did it in the first place," I said, slightly wheezing when I paused. "It felt right... it felt like dad was telling me to do it," I whispered.

Nico only nodded with understanding. I winced as I tried to breathe. I had forgotten all about my internal injuries. I looked at Nico, smiling a little. "It looks like I was meant to die," I whispered, my hand covering my wound. He shook his head. "No! No, no, we're gonna get you home a-and you're going to recover and hang out with all of us. We can put all of this behind. I can finally bring you out on a date!" he rushed out, his voice filled with desperation.

I shook my head though. "We both knew this would happen--no matter how much we try to avoid it," I gently reminded him. "I'm not going to make it off the island Nico... I want you to have it in you to leave me here and live out the rest of your life," I murmured, wiping away the tears from his eyes. "Don't cry, amore. I don't want that being the last thing I see," I said softly, my own lip trembling.

Death. It's so final. It's definitely not easy, but there is an ease to it. Not for anyone else but the one dying. It's one of the truths for them. I think it's a rather beautiful truth in my case. I'm with the one person I love after doing the world good. It's beautiful. And it was my mistake for thinking that I could escape it.

I felt my breathing slowing down. The world looked so fuzzy. It sounded distant yet I felt like I could hear everything. The loudest thing was Nico's sobbing. I could hear him making a prayer to someone to not cut my strings just yet. I could hear my heartbeat slowing down; my heart seemed to struggle to pump any more blood. Breathing was becoming difficult now, almost as if I had to remind myself to do so. I was beginning to feel so cold; my fingertips felt like nothing could ever warm it back up. I closed my eyes, suddenly feeling so tired.

"No! No wake up! Please! Please not yet," Nico begged, gently shaking me. I smiled faintly, although that was suddenly very difficult to do. "I'm here, Nico... I'm here," I said softly, my eyes still closed. I suddenly felt cold lips against my own. It was a salty, bittersweet kiss but it was our final goodbye.

And the final breath was let out with the darkness closing in.

---------------------------------------------------------

This is the last chapter everyone! There is an epilogue that I'll uploading shortly. But thank you for following me through this journey. I'm sorry if this isn't the ending you wanted, but I wanted to make sure that Nico canonically ended up with Will.