16. The Castle of Spears

Start from the beginning

"That is fine Lucia. I knew you wouldn't disappoint me. It is great success that all those on the list have been tracked and brought to me. Now, Benjamin and Nathan I would like a joint report. Nathan you go first."
Nathan was also nervous but he was better at hiding his emotions than someone like Edwin who was shaking like a leaf. Nathan looked up at his master with awe and began "master, all the prisoners brought to us by Lucia have been secured. In the coming days as the previous instructions demanded, they will be interrogated all day long and Alexander has also been allocated a special new chamber with more space and facilities to treat the prisoners."
Dante sounded pleased: "very well. Benjamin report to me about how the detaining of those foolish enough to break the martial law is coming along."

"Master, many vampires and freedom fighters continue to be brought to us on daily basis. Many vampires have already been sentenced to serve various households in the territory as simple servants. However some are still awaiting trial. The freedom fighters arrested on the other hand are also being questioned daily and all information acquired from them are recorded in the "classified files" held in the secure area in the dungeons as you wished previously. All files are sorted in alphabetical order ready for inspection at any time master."

Dante nodded his head and addressed the next commander "Good report. I would drop by to check the files soon. Now, Alexander tell me about your work."

Alexander jumped at Dante's voice. He normally went for him in the end. He spoke with the voice he was trying to hold as steady as possible "master, I transferred my fighter training duties to Dylan as you wished. I have been introducing him to his responsibilities in the past three days. As you are aware, The number of fighters have doubled this year due to the increase in the new volunteer recruits from Phoenix academy. Therefore I was not able to complete Dylan's induction in one day. In terms of my healing duties. I have been on call while away from my treatment chambers training Dylan. I did attend the dungeons as requested whenever summoned by Benjamin and Nathan. I believe I will be able to work full time at my new head quarters at the dungeons from tomorrow now that Dylan is fully trained."

"Excuses accepted Alexander. I am aware of the volume of the services asked of you. Your delay in handing over your position to Dylan would have no consequences." Alexander took a deep breath out of relief.
Dante now turned to Edward who was emitting full waves of concern most likely for his brother's inability to stand still. "Now Edwin and Edward, your turn has come. Report to me. Edwin. you start."

Edwin felt so intimidated by Dante he could not even use his voice at this moment let alone make sentences. Seconds had passed and no response was given by Edwin to his master. Edward was standing helpless awaiting some words to leave Edwin soon. Dante could take this as the sign of a challenge.

Edward suddenly knelt on the floor on one knee and bowed his head in a submissive form. He was clearly asking Dante to give him permission to speak. Dante was enjoying this. He knew Edwin was only 18 and even though his bloodline was one of the most powerful in the whole territory, his powers were not complete until he was going to be 21 just like Demetrious. Dante was not going to pass this opportunity to intimidate Edwin and make an example out of him. So Dante spoke the words that Edward dreaded the most.
"Permission to interrupt me is denied Edward. You may rise. If your brother has decided to challenge me, then he has to face the consequences."
Edward looked horrified. He shakily rose and stood up in his position next to Edwin. Dante's words had not done anything but increase Edwin's distress and now there was no way he could dare breathe one word let alone finish a report.

Dante suddenly rose from his throne and walked down the steps towards his men. Edwin was his entertainment for the day and nothing was going to change his mind about the horrific consequences he had planned for Edwin. The only way he could be saved was if Edwin could miraculously find his voice any minute now.