58. Pure Young Hearts

The firework display by different coloured spheres had now moved outside the great hall of the recruitment compound. Most attendees were now standing in the large balcony attached to the compound and watching the wonderful show in awe.

Serena was now sitting by herself at her table and could not wait for the night to be over. She was just so disappointed so far with how the night had played out with her horrific date that she did not want to even spend one more minute in the hall. She had been abandoned for a long time now. Most couples were now enjoying themselves at the balcony watching the show except her and a very few number of people who were sitting indoors. There were mainly senior enforcers who had seen the show so many times before. Serena felt completely alone.

She suddenly felt a warm presence close to her. She looked up and the sincerity she could see in his features made her smile. She always admired Zachary. He was an honourable noble. His brother Sean was scary but Zachary and his sister Zelina were two of the most descent and most approachable people she had ever known amongst the noble class.

She heard his musical voice that made her feel at ease " May I talk to you for a minute Serena. Is it ok if I take a seat next to you?" Zachary asked politely.

Serena nodded: " Of course. Take a seat. You don't even have to ask Zachary."

Her response made Zachary very happy. He liked how easy it was to talk to Serena. He could always be himself when he was in her presence. He never had to put up the act as the tough no nonsense taker noble that his brother normally expected of him around Serena. When ever he spoke to Serena he felt as though he could be himself.

Zachary spoke slowly and cautiously " I know you are quite upset right now. But I can explain Serena. I know you saw how Rowlen and Bethany walked out of the ladies chambers, looking cheerful and walking hand in hand, side by side. I know it really broke your heart to watch them accompany each other to the balcony without a glance towards you or me. We are their dates for tonight and they seem to have forgotten us. But I think I am in less shock than you because I witnessed how they were cheating on us."

Serena's eyes widened " What? Rowlen was cheating on me with Bethany and you saw it? Did you confront them? Why didn't you tell me earlier on tonight?"

Zachary sighed " I am sorry I didn't manage to talk to you a bit earlier on about this. To tell the truth, it just happened in the past half an hour. I took Octavian's advice and went to the ladies chambers to see what Bethany was up to. I saw Rowlen on top of her. They were talking about intimacy like young lovers who had known each other for years. I think you shouldn't upset yourself too much if Rowlen seems to be ignoring you now. It is unacceptable by the Ronas etiquette if he approached you after he has just cheated on you. As you know Cheating is frowned upon by Ronas protocols and a temporary break up must be performed until issues are resolved. He must give you space to work things out. Bethany has to be giving me space too. But honestly the reason they are avoiding this part of the room is because they are hiding from your parents. They don't want to be spotted tonight. But I am baffled how they couldn't even hide their affection for one night after being found out cheating."

Zachary's last sentence was truly baffling him. He could swear that he had thought that what had happened in the ladies chambers was an accident but he was now starting to believe that they were truly cheating on him and Serena.

Serena was looking at Zachary with her mouth open. It took her a few more seconds to understand the situation. She asked " What does this mean for us then? We are cheated on by our dates. What do we do?"

Zachary looked thoughtful ; " well for a start, it means that we go to check into the hotel unaccompanied by our dates. They have technically broken up with us. We sleep on it tonight and then move on the next day. I have some nice fruity calming potions in my luggage in the hotel. Maybe you could join me for a few glasses before you go to bed."