9. Hello Brother (part 1)

Dante's POV

Demetrious was not just any one. I did not know what to do with him. he was my brother which meant, my parents protected him from feeling the full force of my wrath in most cases. It was hard to tell that we were siblings. He might have inherited my father's distinct blue eyes but he never seemed to be honouring his name. in fact he was far from it. Not only he was the only war hating warlock I knew, he publically showed his dislike to our customs too. Whenever there were any feasts in honour of a glory in battle, he always hid himself in the library reading and studying witchcraft and healing methods. Ever since i took over the leadership from my father following my 18th birthday, he kept himself off my radar at all costs. Whenever I had tasks for him, he used every trick he could, to keep away from battle. in the end i gave him a choice, when he turned 16. he either joined a division or i was going to choose his division for him. In the end he agreed to assist Alexander in training the fighters and work with Tanya in training the high level trackers. some easy jobs for a warlock of his class. He was the descendent of the Great Ronas. He was destined for leadership, not overseeing a bunch of new recruits. If it wasn't for my mothers protection, he wouldn't have been so lucky in making choices. I was going to make him train with xavier and sean to make him my second in command one day and I was pretty sure he would have hated every minute of reporting to me on a daily basis if he was one of my commanders.

The three year age difference between us was not just a number. As though every day of this age gap had created one opposite trait in him that i detested. I was hoping to see some kind of maturity to come with his 18th birthday. when I had reached his age, not only my powers had found their new edge but , that was also when my fully formed plans for conquer shaped in my brain. I knew then, what I exactly wanted to achieve in the years to come. From the details written on those parchments handed to me by my top two commanders, i could tell, his powers had enhanced. Otherwise, the Demetrious I knew could never pull off giving such order and getting no resistance. The reports clearly stated that he issued the order with such power that it was almost like a spell. No body could have resisted. I wasn't worried about his powers posing any threat to me. i was always the stronger one. he didn't stand a chance at ever defeating me. But what about his plans for future. Was he going to stand beside me or join those pathetic freedom fighters scattered around our territories.

I got up from my seat and started walking around the room. I recalled how Xavier and Sean were standing nervously in military stance with their heads lowered when they were awaiting their faith intently. Was i right not to punish them? technically they could not do anything if Demetrious ordered them. He is my blood after all. Well the prophecy mentioned that the 5th heir in line after the great Ronas would be the most powerful warlock to grace the earth in the intermediate phase of warlock history and will conquer the world. well, demetrious was the 6th heir, i was the 5th. The prophecy said nothing about him. But I knew I should be wary of him. Even when he turned 21 he wouldn't be as powerful as me to ever have a chance of defeating me but he could surely resist me. but the thought made me laugh. him opposing me. no, never.

He didn't even like bloodshed. when he gave that order, he most likely just wanted to stop the battle to save unnecessary pain for our fighters and the enemies. As he always did. I still remember our last major confrontation. He badly injured himself by jumping in front my spells to a group of captives who were sent to spy on the clan. If it wasn't for my mother's screams I may have ignored his ridiculous attempts and carried on. He surely would have gotten himself killed by jumping around to stop me. No one ever interrupted me when I punished captives except him of course. But he had crossed the line that day. It was one thing to try to talk me into not killing a captive or changing a punishment but interrupting meant challenging me which meant a death sentence in most cases. in his case, well My father convinced me to ground him for 5 months for that offence which meant he was given a curfew that only allowed him to do his training duties and return to his chambers. He also had to be accompanied with personal guards at all times to ensure he did not break the rules.

Still, none of those arrangements stopped Demetrious from defying me time and time again. In fact he was caught breaking his curfew multiple times. whenever the guards caught him he was either in the dungeons healing the prisoners or he was in the servants head quarters giving them extra supplies and remedies. whenever he was brought to me, I made sure he regretted his stunts by giving him extra training duties and some night shift duties to keep watch. But he never learnt his lessons. his punishments never deterred him from his stunts. i even caught him once spying on one of my briefing meetings with my commanders. And even then when i busted him, it did not stop him from trying to talk me into dropping my plans for the attacks on enemy clans I had discussed in that meeting. For his spying offence, I made him accompany Nathan to his interrogations for a whole day. he was traumatised by the experience to the point that he avoided being in my presence for weeks.

I knew the perfect sanction for him, now. I would make him watch the men whose lives he saved by ordering them to pull back, to suffer the worst kind of pain in front of him. He would watch helplessly as they would pay the price for his rash decision. I knew him well. but a good beating was overdue also too. now that his powers were more developed, he could hold his own. well, I just had to make sure I rebuilt the parts of the cabin that could be destructed before dawn. I was sure, these walls couldnt withstand it when I was going to mercillesly beat Demetrious around the place.

I put one of Athena's jinxing leaves in the middle of the same room where I had interrogated my commanders less than an hour ago. I closed my eyes and summoned Demetrious to me. if he had gotten the message, he should have been here within minutes. but i was wrong. he appeared within seconds in his usual white cloak with an expression that had shock written all over it. He was my immediate family so he was not required to show me any formal respects by kneeling or avoiding eye contact when he arrived in my presence but "the waiting to be spoken rule" was some part of my protocol that not many dared to break without having a death wish, not even him. so i let him stand there for a few minutes. I was just sitting back on the sofa watching him staring at me in horror.

I smirked at his expression and addressed him with my coldest tone. "Hello Brother."