Chapter 45 "Mon Amour"

Bella's POV

Imagine riding on the scariest roller coaster ever built while simultaneously living through your worst fear.

That's how I feel right now.

I don't think I've stopped moving at all since James and Finn left a few hours ago, or, what felt like a few hours. Whether I was pacing, tapping my fingers, or bouncing my leg.

The baby seemed to sense my anxiety because they haven't stopped moving either.

"Bella, would you stop tapping your foot? It's getting on my nerves." I almost jumped at the sound of Megan's voice so close to me.

I hadn't realized she walked from the kitchen to sit next to me on the couch.

"Sorry." I bite my lip, trying to get my muscles to keep my foot from moving.

"I made you more tea because you left your other cup to go cold over there." She told me, motioning to the kitchen table with a half-smile as she held a blue coffee mug toward me.

"Sorry again," I grab the handle of the mug and lift it from her hand slowly. "I've never been good at remaining calm, especially when it comes to Zara."

"I know, mama bear." She whispered, wrapping her arm around my shoulder and I lay my head on hers.

After Zara was born, Megan just started to call me 'mama bear' just to annoy me. But now, it gave me a sense of comforting nostalgia.

The only sound in the room that followed her words was the soft breathing of Delilah from the love seat across from us.

"Do you think he'll do it?" I blurt out into the peaceful silence.

"Who do what?"

"Do you think Kyle would actually kill her?"

More silence.

"Why are you asking questions like that? You're supposed to not be stressing out." Megan finally spoke, obviously avoiding the question.

"My daughter has just been kidnapped by my crazy high school boyfriend who is still obsessed with me. Me stressing out is the least of my problems right now, Megan."

"Your baby is counting on you to not stress out," I sigh.

I knew she was right but I can't help myself. I need to worry about my daughter, her life is on the line because of me.

I lifted the mug to my lips and slowly tipped it towards me until I felt the hot liquid against my teeth.

When the front door swung open I nearly fell out of my seat in an attempt to get up.

"What happened? Did you find anything?" I ramble after placing the mug on the coffee table before walking around the couch.

James walks in first, Finn following close behind. They both wore a face of a mixture of what looks like fear and seriousness.

"We think she's at an abandoned farmhouse out in the country." James told me and I let out an involuntary sigh.

At least we knew where she was.

"So what do we do now?" Megan, who was standing next to me, spoke my mind.

"We're going to find her." Finn answered, shoving his hands in his front pockets.

"You can't go there." I counter, looking between the two who have clearly lost their minds.

"We can't wait for the police. Even if we told them what we know, they have to do their own investigation before going there. By then," Finn stopped and I noticed his Adam's apple bob. "It'll be too late."