Chapter 30 "The Billboard Scene"

I squint as hard as I can, trying to see through the pitch black night. I bend over and pick up a small rock and take a deep breath before throwing it at my target. I miss.

Wow Zara, you really need to stop skipping gym class.

I grab another rock and throw it, this time, hitting the window.

I silently cheer for myself.

I move my hair out of my face before grabbing another rock and throwing it at the window, luckily hitting it.

It was only a couple second later when Finn opened the window, his eyebrows raised as he saw me standing in his backyard in the pitch black.

"Cupcake? What the hell are you doing here?" He shouted just loud enough for me to hear from the ground.

"I-I just can't be home right now." I told him. "Do you have some left over spray paint?"

"Yeah, I have a couple cans left, why?"

"Put on some clothes and get out here, I have a plan." I tell him before walking around to his front door before he could protest.

A couple minutes later he opened the door with a plastic bag in his hands.

"Are you going to tell me why you dragged me out of my house at nine o'clock?" He asked as I grab the bag and peek inside.

There were about five cans left: red, orange, purple, green, and blue.

"I just need to get out of my house and do something." I told him. "Come on, I know the perfect place to tag."

I go to start walking to his car, but Finn grabs my elbow before I could.

"Cupcake, tell me what's wrong." He pleaded, his blue eyes looking at me with that same look he had that night in my room a few weeks ago.

"Nothing's wrong, Finn." I lie, clenching my jaw. "Now let's go."

~~~

"Are you crazy?" Finn asked, turning his head back to look at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Probably." I shrug, a smirk tugging on my lips as I look up at my targeted location.

It was a billboard right next to the highway, right where everyone can see. There was an ad for diapers on it with a giant picture of a baby giggling.

"Cupcake, are you sure you want to tag this? You can get in a lot of trouble."

"Since when did you care about getting in trouble?" I scoff, reaching my hand out to grab one of the steps to the ladder.

I lifted myself up and placed my foot on the bottom step and continued to climb up.

"I'm just saying, you're mother will murder you if she ever found out you did this."

"Yeah, whatever." I swallow the lump in my throat as I reach the top, my hair blowing to the left as the wind picked up.

I open the plastic bag and pull out the red spray paint, shaking it up and down before pulling off the cap.

Finn soon arrived at the top, his own hair blowing back when he turned to face me.

"What are you going to spray?" He asked, yelling over the wind blowing in our ears and the sounds of cars speeding by down the highway.

"The truth." I told him simply as I pressed the top of the can down and began my idea.

A sudden rumbling of thunder filled our ears, but ignored it and continued spraying.

"Zara, we should go, it's about to storm." Finn yelled as more thunder started up again.