Chapter One

••• Assyria Widimer •••

I remember the first time I phased. It wasn't pretty. I was ten years old, the exact age that our kind phase at. It was my birthday and I remember playing outside in the garden with my older brothers, all six of them when the transformation started. My second oldest brother spilt a whole jug of water down my back as a joke and that's what kicked off the change.

I fell to the ground as the water burned my clothes, it wrapped itself around my bottom half in a cocoon and the pain was unimaginable. It started off at the very bottom of my spine and ran all the way through my legs, I remember screaming as my brothers rushed around frantic. The pain rose to the rest of my body, my whole body felt like it was set on fire but my legs were the worst.

It lasted for five hours. Five hours of screaming and not being able to escape it. When it eventually the pain stopped and my father told me what had happened, my family had never left me thought the transformation.

''You're a mermaid Assyria.'' My father had explained to me with kind eyes. I frowned confused. I didn't know what he meant, mermaids weren't real?

"Like the little mermaid?'' I asked and he chuckled lightly.

"Yes Assyria just like the little mermaid but with a few more perks.''

He explained to me about the family secret, that we're all Mer. A creature of the ocean, the top part mortal and the bottom part fish. My family couldn't of been more proud of me.

We moved around a lot, but making sure we always lived directly on a beach. Being a Mer, we're of course attracted to water. Kinda like a magnetic pull, you just can't get enough.

The only thing that kinda sucked was we all had to be careful when around water in public. The slightest drop of water will change us instantly and we can't stop it, we have around a minute to run until we change. Also we only fall in love once. Yeah this part totally sucks, it's not like we have mates or anything like wolves which by the way the exist too, it's just the way it is with our kind . So we don't stay around a lot, being part of a shoal always keeps you on the move. That's what a group of Mer are called, a shoal, like a shoal of fish but with a human half.

It's not like being a mermaid sucks, it doesn't, I mean we all come with special abilities. Some more than others, depending on the amount of time you spent during your first phase. The average is one hour. Mine was five. If I had any more abilities I would of found them by now, but alas, no. I'm just stuck with your usual heightened speed and senses, hypnosis, sonar and of course the ability to control water. We all also have the same unnaturally bright blue eyes if that's a super power. We girls also have like the legend says long, flowing hair down to our waist. The boys not so much.

The amazing thing is we are all blessed with astonishingly good looks, my father says its a Mer trait that we all get just like the bright blue eyes. He told me that centuries ago it was to lure sailors in and fall in love but that would never work out as they would end up accidentally killing them as their ships crashed on the rocks. Oops. But hey it could be worse, I could be human. Now that's just plain boring, I don't know what I'd do without my tail.

''Right you lot out of the car.'' my mother, Meredith called to the lot of us. We were a big family so I ran out of the car and into the house, sorry mansion, to call dibs on the biggest bedroom but naturally one of my brothers beat me to it. My oldest brother Merrick was lying down on a huge four poster bed in the room, the place we'd bought this time was already furnished and my parents had decided to go all out this time. The room itself was huge, it had tall white walls and huge windows letting in all the light. I glared at Merrick.

''What are you doing here? Get out!'' I yelled at my brother he glanced at me and smirked.

"Nope, sorry sis, this rooms mine.'' I narrowed my eyes at him for a split second before giving him my best puppy dog eyes. He looked up at me again and his face fell.

''Ri, you can't give me the eyes that's not fair.'' He pouted using my old nickname. I wobbled me lip a little and tried my best to look sad. He groaned and got off the bed to hug me.