Chapter Twenty-Six

••• Assyria Widimer •••

When I woke up I was in my room and boy did I feel like crap. My head pounded and I rolled over and groaned, jeez even that was painful. I finally opened my clenched fist, in it held I tiny piece of paper folded up and put into a small plastic bag to keep it from getting wet. Before we left the house I don't know how long ago I got a phone call just before we left.

Of course it was the one and only Simon. I had no idea what the hell he was calling for as he only just shifted out of my room five minutes before, he called to say that he'd left me a message under the water. Of course the prick was making no sense so I just ignored him and carried on with the challenge. Honestly, I was scared shitless of what he meant by 'I've left you a treat down below sweetheart', what do you say to that without making it sound extremely dirty and sick minded?!

Anyway, when we got out into the ocean I was getting more and more panicked by the second, and I hated it. I'm a mermaid, I'm supposed to feel safe in the ocean, it wasn't right. After Cassy came up I put on a fake smirk and dived down. The furthest I've ever been is 759 metres, every time I'd get a 100 metres down I'd get a note. 'Getting closer' and 'just a little further' I kept swimming even my body screamed at me to stop and turn back.

The pressure of the water on my tail was agony and I was almost pleased that I was so far down just so Cam couldn't feel it. I couldn't even feel him through the bond I was so deep, when I got to 1000 it was pitch black and I couldn't see a thing, not even with my enhanced eyesight. I had to depend on my echolocation just to see what direction I was going. I felt exhausted and I just wanted to give up and go to sleep but I knew what Simon had planned, plus I'm pretty stubborn and I just wanted to find the damned note and leave.

When I got to a thousand metres I let the marker fly towards the surface, I felt envious of it, that marker had no idea how lucky it was. I quickly shook my head when I realised I was feeling jealous of a small light blue ball with a number 1000 on it, yeah that's not weird at all. I grabbed the tiny plastic bag and tried to swim back to the top but quickly stopped, I had no idea which direction I was going in.

I couldn't use my echolocation because I was exhausted enough and it took so much effort to just whistle or sing a note, wow I'm lazy. My eyes drooped and tried swimming in the direction I was facing, if it was going to the bottom I would've been screwed but I kept swimming. My hand clenched tightly around the bag and my mind focused on one thing. Cameron.

I wave of sound hit me and I stopped in the darkness, was that Merrick? The sound came again and swam a little closer ignoring my bodies cries for rest. I whistled back but the sound came jumbled up from sleep. I gave up and just floated there in the water unconscious, I felt arms grab hold of me and pull my aching body to the surface. I curled my hands into my body making sure to keep the one with the letter hidden. I felt myself slip in and out of consciousness, then I heard loud noises and somebody take my hand, luckily the one without the note from Simon. I kept that hand tightly in a fist despite wanting nothing but to rest.

I don't remember anything after that. I sat up and grimaced when my head screamed at me to sleep more. Ignoring the feeling I opened up the packet and pulled out the note before reading it over.

Dear Assyria,

I'm glad you got my letter. How're you feeling? Hope the dive wasn't too difficult. I would hate for somebody to get hurt. Don't forget my warning, you have a week to complete your task.

-Simon

I scowled and set my hand alight burning the paper instantly. Are you freaking kidding me?! I went through all that for nothing?! That man is a total dick and when I get my hands on him-