Chapter Thirty-One

••• Hadley Clark •••

"You're what?!" I choked out, I knew she was telling the truth I could see it in her mind. I just couldn't believe it. She was pregnant? How? Well I know how I haven't been living under a rock for years.

"How do you know?" I asked her cautiously, her eyes were filled with tears. Ri is always strong and hard just like her mother apparently, it's heartbreaking to see her look so upset, so lost.

"Mer can tell." She started looking away still holding tightly onto my hand. I'd never seen my best friend like this before. She's strong, I'm not used to seeing her like this.

"You can feel the baby in your stomach, feel their heart beat, their life running through you. And mer always have a lot of children, it's to do with the shoals. Hadley I'm eighteen I can't be a mother, blood hell even Chloe isn't pregnant!" She sobbed loudly as tears finally rolled down her perfect cheeks.

I hugged her tightly and she sobbed into me. She had been there for me now it was my turn to return the favor, Ri can't be a hard-ass all the time, as much as she tries to hide it she has emotions. This would freak out anyone.

"It'll be okay, everything will be fine." I said soothingly, she let out a small sob again and shook her head slightly.

"It won't Hadley, a mer's pregnancy is different. It's quicker, give it three weeks and I'll be in l-labour." She stuttered the word and I blinked shocked, well shit. Oh god what is Cameron going to say? What about her brothers? Oh dear lord her family are going to crucify Cameron.

"Can you...get rid of it?" I asked quietly, I don't at all condone that act especially since I'm a witch but seeing my best friend so miserable makes me desperate. Ri stilled slightly then gulped.

"No, having a child is considered a sacred act to mer. I couldn't hurt the baby even if I wanted to, besides every mother has a bond with the child. I can feel it already, the need to protect it. Hadley what am I going to do? Cameron's going to freak and my parents will flip!" She sobbed again, using my magic I whispered a small calming spell in her ear. Her cries died down ever so slightly and her breathing evened out.

"You need to tell Cameron." I said in a low voice, she froze up but she knew I was right. She pulled back looking away but never let go of my hand.

"Oh god he's not going to let me fight Mer-zilla is he?" She said sounding disappointed, I couldn't hold back the giggle that escaped my lips. Of course Ri would think about fighting Priscilla at a time like this.

"God I should've seen this coming." She muttered and I frowned confused.

"How could you have seen this? And anyway I don't understand, if you've been with Mason the last month or so..." I trailed off and she seemed to understand what I was saying. Usually it takes a month or so to tell if you're pregnant, then again that's humans.

"There's a time for mermaids which makes it easier for them to get pregnant, just after a full moon. It's like mortal ovulating. It was after the full moon when I first slept with Cam, we haven't actually had sex after that neither of us has had the time." She said still looking at the wall in shock. I nodded in understanding at her words.

"Hadley I- Oh hi Ri." Marlowe's voice interrupted us as he walked through my bedroom door. My heart fluttered as I looked at him, he grinned lazily at me then looked at Ri. He sped over taking a hand in his looking up at her worriedly as he knelt down in front of her.

"Ri what's happened?" He asked, when she didn't reply he looked at me worriedly.

Later... I sent the thought to him, he pursed his lips then nodded kissing her forehead. Assyria meant the world to her brothers, I could sense how worried Marlowe was just by looking at her.