Chapter Thirty-Two

••• Assyria Widimer •••

"Woah woah hold up, why is he here?" I asked pointing at Waverly, he raised an eyebrow but I ignored him. Through the mate bond I could tell that Cameron felt the same way.

"He's the only one that knows the way here?"

"What about his shoal?"

"They left behind him, look Ri don't argue just start swimming." I scowled and took off swimming, I could feel Waverly's eyes on my tail but I ignored it.

I knew he still had feelings for me, I'd never been one to express my feelings but I did feel a little guilty somehow that he wanted me but the feeling wasn't mutual. What I had with Waverly is nothing compared to what I feel when I'm with Cam, of course I'll never tell him that his ego's big enough as it is.

"How long with it take to get there?" Hadley asked swimming next to me. I looked down at her throwing her a smile as we glided effortlessly through the water. She suited being a mer, but I did miss that coal black hair of hers.

"About a day, maybe a day and a half depending how fast we're going." I spoke with a shrug. She nodded. Since mer can control water we usually use that to help us get wherever we want to when we're in the ocean. We're very lazy you see.

Behind me I felt the current pick up and it wasn't long before the water was carrying us instead of us swimming. I knew it was Merrick testing out his new found powers. Since he's head of the shoal now his powers automatically become stronger, it's to help protect the shoal if it's ever in danger.

Instead of wolves where the pack would attack as one, mer in the very old days used to just have the two shoal leaders fight it out. It meant less deaths on each side, of course nobody could stop themselves from throwing a punch or two so it usually lead to a full out brawl in the ocean causing tidal waves and horrifc storms. Oops.

"Thought of any names yet?" She asked curiosly, I smirked down at her.

"A few." I said coyly. I wanted Cameron's oppinion on the names since they are his children.

"How about-"

"Alex I am not naming my children after Star Wars characters." I snapped interupting him as he swam upside Hadley. He glared at me then huffed making Hadley giggle.

"How about you?" Hadley asked Cameron as he came up beside me. He smiled down at me then looked over at my best friend.

"Well, we decided we wanted our kids to have faily normal names but also have a Mer name as well." He explained, Hadley looked excitedly at us both.

"Have you chosen any yet?" She asked, I chuckled slightly at her enthusiasm.

"For a boy, how about Condon?" Cameron suggested, I shook my head. God no...

"No because one the name means 'dark haired wise man' and two, it sounds like condom." I said, Alex laughed at the other side earning a glare from Cam.

"Clint?"

"Do you want our son to turn out like a douche?"

"Bishop?"

"Are we playing chess?

"Fine, you pick some." He snapped, I snorted a chuckle and began thinking as we swam futher and further.

"Declan?" I suggested, he scrunched up his face. Okay, not Declan.

"Callan?" I said, the name meant 'flowing water'. I didn't mind the name.

"No." Well there goes that then. I chewed my lip thinking, I bet he's just saying no because his names sucked ass.

No I'm not...

Liar, yes you are...
I shot back, he rolled his eyes and the speed of the water sped up behind us making us all jolt forward quickly. I glared at Merrick who smiled back sheepishly, idiot mer brother.

"Kai and Mai?" I said with a grin, I knew the names were cheesy but both held connections to the sea. One was Hawaiian and the other Chinese.

"How about Dalis for a girl?" I suggested, it meant 'drawing water'. Cam shook his head and I sighed, this was hard. God I can only imagine what it is going to be like being a mother, thank god I have Cameron here with me.

"Well we have to pick something." I said exasperetly. Cam sighed shaking his head.

"We'll choose one don't worry. Let's just focus on getting to Atlantis." He said firmly. I nodded but couldn't stop thinking about it. I can't even choose a name for my children, how bad is clothes shopping going to be?!

"How far away are we?" I heard Hadley ask my brother from behind. I turned to see her in his arms and I squealed, they had to be by far the cutest couple I'd ever seen. Sigh, my brother the player merman and the witch.

"Not too far, maybe another halfday's swim. We made good time, the ocean's are clear so we don't have to keep stopping for submerines." I heard Waverly reply. I sighed as his eyes met mine, he sent me a wink making Cam growl. I found it amusing that he could still talk to his wolf in Mer form.

"Oh hush up." I mumbled to Cam slapping his tail with mine lightly. He grinned pulling me to his side as I continued to swimm us further. I noticed both him and Alex had stopped so it was litterally just the water carrying them, the poor boys weren't used to staying and swimming in water for so long.

After a couple of hours we all stopped for a break. Cam and Alex were both nearly half asleep, the girls were actually asleep, Hadley seemed the only one to actually stay awake but she too looked exhausted. Only the mer were still wide awake and happy, of course we are we're in water.

Waverly didn't seem to want to stop for too long and I can understand why. We were too exposed out here in the middle, mer-zilla could get us from anywhere and we don't have a shoal to protect us. Priscilla is powerful and smart, of course she'd bring an army. It amazed me how people were always so willing to sign up to kill us, did they have some kind of website floating about or something?

We started swimming again, Cameron, Alex and the rest of the newly turned girls were placed in the middle while my brothers and I circled them protectively. They were asleep so we were using our powers to move them, add that to the speed of which we're swimming and and how long we've been swimming for we were all tired.

"How far away are we?" I asked pushing my tail forward and keeping one arm pointed at the newly turned Mer. Waverly looked back at me through the dim moonlight. It was dark now and we'd been swimming for at least a day.

"Not long." He replied and I nodded looking away. I didn't like the way he stared at me for too long, it pissed off Cam and it got me pretty annoyed too. I'm with Cameron now he should respect that and move on, besides it's not like I'm his 'one love' or anything. When he finds his he won't even remember my name.

Maybe an hour or so later Waverly slowed to a stop. We all stopped behind him and the sleepy new Mer woke up. The girls swam to my brothers and Alex and Cameron over to me. Everyone looked nervous, well aside from my brothers, Waverly and I. We were all way too excited, entering Atlantis is like entering a whole new world. It's nothing at all like living out side here.

"Can you see that?" Alex asked Cam making me chuckle.

"That's the border of the bermuda triangle, only mer can see it. It allows us to see what's real as opposed to what's not." I explained, Alex nodded but still looked a tiny bit confused.

"Come on." Waverly said loudly, we swam slowly through the border. My body tingled as we passed through the transparent light blue wall. We all stopped on the other side making sure everyone was accounted for.

Inside the border everything outside looked distaughted even with my flawless Mer vision. Looking down towards the ocean floor I could see the entrance to Atlantis. It looked like a glass mirror, but the mirror moved around the large frame as if it had a life of it's own. This was the portal, the gateway, the entrance to Atlantis City.

We swam towards it, I could see the Mer guards swimming around us, watching us for any sign of threat. They were all geared up in their traditional war armor. Silver forarm plates, silver chest plates and a thin silver head band set neatly on their forheads. Their swords and spears were glued to their strong hands. You could feel the power flowing throw the water from them, these mer were not to be messed with.

"Waverly Marée, shoal leader of the Marée Shoal." Waverly spoke firm and clear straightening up as he adressed the first guard. He nodded him forward and I could see Alex frowning, he opened his mouth to ask but I shook my head telling him to keep quiet.

Waverly swam forward through the portal, there was a small glow and he was gone. Cam beside me blinked shocked, his mouth parted in amazement. I told him Mer are better that wolves.

"Merrick Widimer, shoal leader of the Widimer Shoal." My brother spoke to the head guard. The guard narrowed his eyes at my brother and I noticed the other mer guards swimming closer and closer towards us. I shifted so I was on the outside protecting Alex and Cam, my brothers did the same forming a tighter ring around girls.

"The current leader is Arlyn Widimer." The guard replied his voice hard and authoritative. I saw the guards tighten their grip around their weapons.

"He was my father, him and my mother were killed by Pricilla Llorar. My family and I have come here seeking sanctuary." Merrick answered in the same cold yet strong tone.

There was silence for a long period of time before the head guard nodded us through. Copy me Marlowe mouthed at Hadley, Cam and Alex. He swam in first followed by Hadley. Cam glanced back at me before swimming through the portal, Alex followed after and then the girls. My brothers nodded at me to swim ahead, I gulped before swimming forward into the portal and towards Atlantis City.

I shuddered uncontrollably as my body passed through the portal, seconds later I was out and my eyes squinted from the sudden increase of light. The water felt easier to breath, less clogged and held more oxygen.

In front of me Cameron and Alex and stopped swimming staring at the beautiful castle in front of us. Mer are traditional creatures, and this castle has been around since Mer ever exhisted. I noticed guards swimming up to us with smiles on their faces.

"We are shocked to hear about what happened to your leaders. You have our deepest appologies and our protection." A guard spoke to us. His accent was stiff and held a slight lilt found only in the city of Atlantis. Merrick nodded and swam off with morgan by his side with the guards. Marlowe and I lead the rest of our new shoal towards the living quarters of the castle. We followed the guards ignoring the whispers of the mer as they stared at us as we swam slowly towards the right tower.

The right side of the castle was raised high up onto an island so mer could have to option to live on land if they wanted to. I knew the girls and Cam and Alex would want to stay there since they're used to living on land. Unfortunetely that was also where the prison was kept at the far side of the island. It was placed there because it drains Mer staying on land for too long. The prisoners aren't allowed in water and if they are they're monitered with guards watching their every move.

"You'll stay here, there is a cave entrance and a land entrance. We hope you enjoy your stay." A guard spoke before swimming off, this place felt a lot like a hotel which was why it was so awesome. You were waited hand and foot on in your stay here, and it was free. You don't get this kind of treatment back on mortal land.

We spent an hour at least calling dibs on our bedrooms. Luckily Cam and I got a pretty decent one, Alex however got a veiw of the prison and Alex being Alex wanted to go there and explore. Cam and I walked out onto the island with Alex by our side, for some reason he kept sniffing the air and was being all jumpy.

"Do you smell that?" Alex asked in awe, I shook my head in confusion as Cam simply grinned shaking his head. I narrowed my eyes at him, what did he know that he wasn't telling me?

He's found his mate, he can smell her scent. Just let him do his thing he should be fine... He said making my jaw drop.Alex found his mate?! I always thought he was gay? I mean sure he flirted with every girl he laid eyes on but I always thought that was a cover. Cameron laughed beside me hearing my thoughts, oops.

"Ria thinks you're gay."

"I'm not- seriously what is that it smells amazing. Like honey, fresh grass and rain." Alex said looking around, I rolled my eyes leading them towards the prison.

The guards at the prison looked over at us and relaxed slightly at our presence, always on guard these lot. I chatted politely to the guard and he let us through. The prison on Atlantis is very different to those you get back on land. People can come and visit the prisoners as they please, but they can't touch and if you do you land in prison next to them with a life sentence and a sword up your ass. The guards follow their rules by the book and in the entire history there has never been a dirty guard. Mainly because they all hate the prisoners, not surprising a lot of them are water sprites or other lower water dwellers.

"Mate..." I swore loudly grabbing onto Alex's arms pulling him away from the metal bars. Alex tried pushing him away but I didn't hold up, I stood directly between him and his mate in the prison cell behind me. The guards looked at us clenching their hands around their weapons and Alex thrashed in front of me. I knew the guards would be no help since they wouldn't mind throwing a wolf in their prison so I looked at Cam for help.

"Get him out of here, go and get my brothers if you have to." I ordered to Cam, he nodded once grabbing Alex from behind pulling him out of the prison as he snarled and thrashed wanting nothing more to get to his mate. There was a hiss behind me and I turned giving a look of disgust to the girl in the cell next to me.

Her skin was a deadly ash white and her ears were pointed looking more like an elf than a nixie. Her beauty was undeniable like any other nixie, and she stretched her long pale arms through the metal bars hissing and baring her fangs at me. The girl is a nixie, a river mermaid, the lowest of the low. They are wild, uncontrollable and deceiving creatures. There has been a war going on between nixie and Mer ever since the beginning of our kind. Just like werewolves and vampires, it's a natural hate for each race that we have.

Nixie are more like wild animals than anything else, like rogue wolves apart from these are much more deadly. They get their power from fire, where as mer from water. Ironic that a river mermaid would get her power from fire instead if water but that's just how they're created. They like being in water but not nearly as much as they do in fire, and the water has to be a scolding temperature for them to be in.

But like any Mer the nixie's also have one person of whom they'll spend the rest of their lives with. I felt bad for Alex being stuck with a nixie. As if sensing my thoughts the girl hissed and my lip curled in disgust as I squared up to her. Opening her mouth to spit at me a tiny fire ball came out landing on my right shoulder. I hissed in pain as it burnt trough my t-shirt, glaring at her I lit my hand on fire sending a ball of flames towards her face. She yelped falling backwards but she was soon on her feet hissing at me again. See what I said about being an animal.

"Quiet." I hissed at the girl, she gave a low growl but went silent none the less.

"Your name?" I ordered, the girl raised an eyebrow at me as her tangled hair fell away from her pale face. She didn't seem to understand the question so I repeated it in Latin and she answered straight away.

"Salacia..." She hissed, I smirked at her name. Oh the irony, a river mermaid being named after a Roman salt water goddess.

"Est ei eo? [Is it him?]" I asked her, Salacia hissed pressing her face into the bars glaring coldly at me. Instead of the usual beautiful blue eyes the mer have, nixie's have bright green eyes.

"Ille est meamet! [He is mine!]" She growled possessively making me roll my eyes. Nixie are possessive of everything, territory, food and their loved ones. Turns out they aren't very keen on sharing.

"Ille est lupus? [He's a wolf?]" I pointed out to her. Nixie tend to be quite racist when it comes to coupling, they frown upon 'inter-species couples' as they put it. So Cam and I for example would be a complete disgust, because we are separate species. Salacia's eyes stared at me unwavering.

"Non euro. [I care not.]" She mumbled to me making me raise an eyebrow in surprise. This girl was different from the other nixie I'd encountered, still in dire need of a bath but you could see in her eyes all she wanted was Alex. That was good enough for me.

"Est nomen eius Alex. [His name is Alex.]" I spoke before walking away keeping my back to her. The guards nodded at me as I walked outside to inform Alex about his new mate. This should be fun...