『against their fathers' wishes [2]

A lot has happened over the course of a year, and you wonder if this is the peak of your adventures. The stares of all the world leaders remain solely focused on you as a result of your outburst. Their sons are all but frightened, silent as they await your next step.

Yet you do what you know best: feign confidence. "You can't take them!"

"What makes you think your words have any leverage over ours?" Tonraq's father bites back. He appears more insulted than the others at your refusal to comply.   

"Well... I don't have leverage, but you can't take them." Your defense against them crumbles under their intense gazes, and you glance over at your companions for help.

Your display of defiance rouses their confidence and reminds them of the reason why they left their homes. Iroh is the first to stand, "I want to stay."

"No." His father's curt response cuts the tension in the room, leaving no room for reasoning. "And your girlfriend must come back as well. Her mother has covered the entire Fire Nation in flyers."

A scoff rolls out your mouth at the mention of your mother. "Well, excuse me Fire General Azusa, but she only wants me back to make more money for her."

His face tenses. "Certainly that isn't true."

"Nevertheless," Haku's father speaks up, "your journey is at its end. You already encountered formidable enemies, and the Avatar and Fire Lord Zuko had to save you."

You glance over at Aang to inquire whether he was the one who spilled the beans. The man provides a sheepish smile, "Fire Lord Zuko told them in the Republic City meeting."

Tonraq doesn't seem too bothered by the wealth of information their fathers have on their adventures and continues the conversation. "How can you judge whether we were capable of defending ourselves if you do not allow us to prove it?"

"You are just children, unaware of the world you live in," Tonraq's father refutes as he shakes his head.

"Then why can't we be aware?" Iroh pleads his case. "We know that we are all sheltered, we know that, and that's the reason why we left. You guys keep throwing more and more and more responsibilities at us when there is such a disconnect between us and this world."

"Iroh... I know it's a lot to handle but I believe in you," the Fire General reasons in an even tone. "But shirking your responsibilities to play a festival planner in a festival that isn't yours... that just isn't the answer."

"I think you're wrong!" Haku slams his fist against the table. "Everyone's responsibility here is to the people. As princes and as a diplomat, our first and foremost responsibility is to make sure our citizens can live in peace. Our sheltered dispositions are the reasons why we can NEVER serve our people.

"Father, Fire General Azusa, Leader Ezaq, Avatar Aang... Our view of the good and bad in this world has made us grow as leaders and realize the importance of this festival. It will highlight the sanctity of spirits and bring the world together, and with what has happened in the Northern Water Tribe, we need this now more than ever for the good of this world."

No one can counter Haku's unexpectedly splendid defense of the group as shown by the stunned silence. The bumbling idiot under pressure has certainly blossomed in a way that paints him almost unrecognizable.

Haku continues, his confidence knowing no bounds. "Just look at us. Don't you see a difference?"

Each father locks eyes with their sons. Golden optics face a more confident and passionate son; aqua optics gaze at a more empathetic and stoic son; and chocolate optics views a man that would fight for his friends. All show potential as leaders that could shape the future of this world for the better.