『an outspoken boy

With the blockage in front of you, you decide it best to begin planning your escape. Your two hands push you off the group and you wobble back onto your feet, yet it's Iroh's strength that pulls you back to stable footing. 

"Are you hurt?" he breathes out as one hand holds onto your arm.

"I think so," you respond while dusting off your clothes. "How's the damage?"

Iroh opens up his palm and ignites a fire on it; the fire's illumination gives him better visuals of the situation: a complete dead-end. "Do you think Haku can earthbend this out?"

You shake your head while placing your hand on the rocks. "No, the cave's structural integrity has been compromised. Any earthbending can result in this entire cave collapsing on us."

"And Haku knows this?"

"Yeah, he can tell with his talent. If he didn't, you would hear him trying to get us out." You smile sadly at the thought. "Let's just find a way out. I already memorized the map from one of the placards."

The fire in Iroh's palm grows stronger and he nods his head. "I'll light the way."

[___]

After wandering around the cave for about an hour, you two take a break on some flat rock structures. Thankfully, you packed some snacks in your bag and you whip them out to feed your rumbling stomach.

"Fish and fruit?"

You notice Iroh's interest in your snack and turn to face him. "Yes, fish is a reliable source of protein to keep our hunger at bay, while fruit is a natural source of energy"

"Interesting..." He opens up his free hand and you give him a scoop of your snack. He dumps it in his mouth and hums with delight.

"You look just like Prez when he eats!" you laugh as you watch him chew.

"That's a compliment!" Iroh retorts as he joins in on the laughter. "And you look like Hammy when he eats."

"Hammy is adorable, so I'm guessing I'm adorable too," you joke, but your laughter gets cut short upon realization on the sore subject. "Ah, sorry..."

Iroh's gaze slowly pulls away from you and onto the rocks before him. He despises the fact that you have to apologize, that you have to be so distant to him when you guys just naturally click. Why must there be distance? Why does he have to continue being silent about his feelings? His heart hurts just too much for him to allow this to continue.

As he opens his mouth, he feels as if a frail piece of string holds him back from sharing his inner thoughts. Yet desperation breaks the string and off he plunges into the abyss of his overwhelming emotions.

"I don't think it's fair," Iroh's comment cuts through the silence.

"Huh?"

Iroh turns his body to face you while you do the same, your faces illuminated by his ongoing fire. "I don't think it's fair to either of us. You can't just say no to something when you haven't even tried it!"

You blink owlishly at Iroh. "Excuse me?"

His eyes lock on your stunned expression, and your nerves begin to flare up. You have a million questions arising in your mind with Iroh being the main culprit of them all.

He inhales deeply before spouting out the next set of life-changing words. "I want to be your boyfriend, [Name]! If I have to give away my title to my little sister, then so be it!"

Your eyes are as wide as your mother's favorite china plates— for those who cannot assess that measurement, think of a plate as wide as the bowls used to feed baby flying bisons... Those plates are clearly not for humans but your mother still uses them to serve her guests. You've found them to be ridiculously ostentatious but she says it gives the family a sense of nobility.......

BUT THAT IS BESIDES THE POINT.

"Iroh... YOU BIG IDIOT!" You slap his arm.

"H-Huh?"

"That's the whole reason I don't want to be with you! You have a calling to be the prince of the fire nation! Don't you understand the importance of that? Not many can say that, not many carry that amazing call to be part of history books."

"But you're not getting it... I don't care about my title. And no one gets to decide my fate except me." He scoots closer to your form. "I don't want to miss out on the things that are important to me just because of a title."

You know he means you and a fierce blush paints your face. "Don't they want a noble like Mel?"

"Who cares what they want. My grandfather just told me to go with my gut," his stern facade begins to melt, forming a soft expression. "And I know my gut is telling me that I need to be with the person in front of me."

"That's me..." Your obvious response depicts that state of your intelligence: below average. Yet it makes the boy chuckle as his head descends a bit to align with yours.

"Is that okay with you?"

"The boyfriend thing or the kiss you're about to give me?" You curse at yourself for not being swept away in the romance and spouting out more idiotic things. This is what you've always wanted. Why can't you shut up and let him kiss you?!

Iroh takes it in stride, his bubbling happiness smoothing over any grievances you might pose. "Both."

"Urrr. Ahhh... [Name] says yes." Okay, now you've gone full mental for speaking in third-person.

He laughs lowly and takes his chance in capturing your lips in a sweet kiss. The flame in his hand fizzles out as his hand reaches out to grab the back of your head and pull you deeper into the kiss. Suddenly, a myriad of colors dances along the rocks. Vibrant blues, yellows, and greens bring life into the cave and into your lives.

And all you can think about is how his mouth tastes like honor.

[___]

A/N: *screeching continuously* IT'S HAPPENING. EVERYONE. IT HAS HAPPENED. 48 chapters and it's real. It might have taken a while but we needed Iroh to mature more and not take anymore crap. 

Now, I'll be gone till the end of June. New update will be out at the end of June cause it's time for vacation. Enjoy the beautiful new relationship as I venture off to a magical land. Peace! <3

Art found here: http://crys-sketchblog.tumblr.com