『at long last

You find yourselves once more sitting around the campfire by the side of the mountain. You eat your food with little interest as you focus your attention on the man across from you. On both your sides are your companions, who wear the same look of distrust.

Anything his muscled fingers can touch disappears into his mouth. His appetite is ravenous and inconsiderate, but Iroh's endlessly supply of food plus what they had hunted an hour ago are enough to sate everyone's empty stomachs; despite the assurance of the your food supply's impenetrable amount, no one is happy with the depletion of it.

The man finishes with a long and shameless burp. His body has been rejuvenated, and he rubs his protruding stomach with delight. When his steel blue eyes land upon your form, it's then that you notice how young the man truly is. "H-How old are you?"

"Twenty years old," he states with a lack of reservation. He lifts himself off the ground and travels over to where you three sit. Standing, the man is easily taller and much stronger than the three of you combined, but there is a kindness to his eyes that contradicts his overwhelmingly powerful body. 

You're taken from your thoughts when the man collapses onto his knees and prostrates himself at your feet. "Thank you so much for the food you gave me a week ago."

You flush at the realization that he's directing his gratitude towards you. "D-Don't worry about it! Sorry for calling you an old man!"

He lifts his head to send you a bright grin, then proceeds to let out a laugh that blares through the forest. It appears you humored him too much, and it doesn't settle well with someone. "He is still an old man."

You direct your gaze onto Iroh, who watches with arms crossed. The man mirrors your movement but pauses when he gets a good look at him. He then inspects Haku, who sits on your other side. Their bodies instantly tense under the man's pensive stare, and they send him looks to which you are unaware of.

"So who are you exactly?" you ask.

"Ah yes, my name is..." The man pauses and proceeds to wear a painful look. "Tonraq... I'm a nomad."

The word 'nomad' sounds forced, and you give him a confused look. "Well, you certainly aren't a successful one if you can't procure food for yourself."

"I've recently become a nomad, so my... survival skills aren't up to par."

You nod your head in understanding. "I see... Well, you can tag along with us if you'd like. But I need to check with the others first." You look at them and notice them sweating bullets. "...Guys?"

"W-Why don't we take a bath together in the nearest lake?" Haku suggests with shifty eyes.

"Eh?" You're taken aback by his suggestion. "I'm not going with you three."

"Not you. Only men." Iroh pats your head as he rises. "We'll only be a moment."

"Okay?" You aren't sure with what was happening but ultimately decided it best not to inquire any further.

[_____]

"I'm surprised to see you both here." Both Iroh and Haku jump at Tonraq's statement. He's wearing a look of disbelief, eyebrows knit together as he approaches them. "The Fire Prince and Haru's grandson."

Iroh glances over at Haku, who smiles sheepishly at him. "Don't worry, I know about you too."

Iroh's lips are sealed as he returns his glare at Tonraq. The man notices Iroh's apprehension and scratches his head. "Don't worry, I can tell she has no idea about you. I won't say a word if you don't say a word about me."

The air is filled with tension, and it doesn't appear that Iroh is too keen on the man joining. "I heard about what happened to your tribe."

The statement feels like a low blow, and Haku elbows the boy for it. Tonraq's gaze lowers onto his feet. He's unaware of Iroh's true intentions and more concerned about the safety of his country. "... How are my people?"

Knowing Iroh's defensive stance on the man, Haku decides to answer. "Everyone is okay. Avatar Aang swung by and the place is stabilizing at the moment. The security has also tightened."

"I see," he sighs with relief before sending Haku a pained smile. "I deserved the punishment. I disrespected something that was so precious to my people."

Feeling empathy for him, Iroh speaks up with less animosity, "I... would have done the same thing for my people."

The gentle approach catches Tonraq off guard, as well as Haku. As they both gawk at him, Iroh returns to his normal self--a boy with an appetite for adventure.

"As long as you keep our titles hidden, you can join us, Tonraq."

"Iroh..."

"You have nowhere else to go, right?"

Iroh's generosity appears to have renewed Tonraq's broken spirit. He didn't expect such kindness from all these strangers, let alone people from different nations. However, this group possesses a certain quirkiness to them that he'd probably be able to learn quite a lot just by joining them.

And with a wide grin, Tonraq nods his head, aligning himself with the group.