『ever after

Seated in the drawing room of the palace, you and Fire Lord Izumi enjoy your Sunday in peaceful silence. It has been hours since you two finished breakfast and occupied the room. The tranquility of the day lends itself as a powerful catalyst in concentration: Izumi with her mountainous amounts of reports and you with a romance novel.

"Maybe you should be Fire Lord," Iroh's mother huffs as she stares at another report of her daughter wrecking havoc.

You peel your gaze away from your book, a treat from a bustling week of work. Although you only work four days a week, the consecutive days of slaving over information has left you ragged. Weekends are your days to relax and enjoy your moments of reprieve. To assume the role of Fire Lord will destroy such bliss.

"I'm okay. Head Spiritual Advisor to the White Lotus is sufficient work for me," you chuckle. "Besides, I promised Iroh I'd take it easy ever since I returned."

"But you also promised to be advisor once my daughter ascends the throne."

You gawk at her stubbornness. "That was a promise from eighteen years ago!"

"I can't imagine her being sane without you," she says while crossing her arms.

"Another 100 year war will ensue!" you agree.

"Exactly... Can't you have a child and I can name them my successor?"

You pout with sympathy for your sister-in-law. Long has her deranged tendencies plagued Fire Lord Izumi with concern, but with Iroh II no longer in contention for the role, there is only one person in line to receive the title. She has been promised it for almost two decades; it'd be cruel to yank it away.

You avoid eye contact as you return to your novel. "Oh, please. Iroh won't give up his position until he's eighty. By then, I'd be too old to have any kids."

The Fire Lord exhales, her impatience getting the best of her. "Surely you two can have one now! The entire family would pitch in to help while you two are busy with your jobs."

"Unfortunately not," you shake your head, "we decided that if we have a kid, we'd be actively present in their life. To put off the responsibility to our parents and grandparents isn't healthy."

Izumi sighs heavily, "I have one child that is TOO responsible and another that cares little about responsibility."

"Funny how things turn out."

"BABE, I'M HOME!" Iroh shouts from inside the palace. His booming voice travels to the office room, causing your heart to hammer with excitement.

You bookmark your spot and close the book. Your smile widens. As you jump up onto your feet, you inhale deeply before responding. "I'M IN HERE, BABE!"

Fire Lord Izumi watches on with more annoyance. Her son bolts in as if he hasn't seen his wife in years when it's only been three days. Eyes meet, lips join, and suddenly you two are in a make out session by the couch.

"I-IROH!" his mother exclaims as she glances away from the couple. "We've SPOKEN about this. Your indecency is becoming too much. Please find some shred of normalcy when you two meet."

Iroh finishes up licking the last of your saliva before pulling away. You're in a dazed but giddy state to respond, yet Iroh appears cohesive enough to retort. "I haven't seen the love of my life in days. I can't help it."

Her eyebrow twitches. "Ugh, just get out."

Iroh does not waste a second in scooping you up, much to your gasping and declining, and scurries off to the bedroom. Meanwhile, Zuko is traveling into the room to speak to his grandson. "Oh, welcome home, Iroh."