『a deadlier ally [2]

"The skin feels impenetrable," Iroh growls out as he fires out another fireball. The serpent hits each of Iroh's attacks with a splash of water and evades Tonraq's attempts at stabbing it with his floating icicles. 

"I think we'll have a harder time killing it instead of stopping it," Tonraq concludes as he pants from exhaustion. 

"Aim for the eyes then," Iroh commands to which Tonraq nods. "That should at least give us room to escape."

Tonraq proceeds to skate around the serpent and manipulate the water to his will. He tries to slow its movement by circling around it quickly and diverting its attention to buy Iroh some time. With the serpent not knowing who to attack, Iroh takes his chance. He breathes in deeply, his chest expanding until he hurls out a giant fireball at its face. 

The beast barely pays it attention and breathes out some water of its own, counteracting the fire. It then slaps Tonraq with its tail, sending him flying onto the rocky part of the pass. He groans out in pain and Iroh grits his teeth. 

"I just need a clear opening," he growls out as he jumps high and propels himself with fire over to where Tonraq was thrown. "Tonraq, you okay?"

"Y-Yeah," he grunts out as he tries to stand. "We need something to keep it still--"

The eel-creature from earlier emerges from the water, surprising the serpent and bodyslamming it into the peak of the pass. The serpent screeches in pain, and although confused, Iroh quickly assesses the situation and blows out fire into the serpent's eyes.

This time it's a direct hit. The eel retracts and opens its mouth to form a water beam, but the serpent flees into the water to soothe its burning eyes. When all is still and quiet, Iroh glances at the eel with a glare. He's ready to attack if need be, but the creature has no desire to participate in any fights as it returns to where Haku and you stand.

Iroh rushes over in fear for your safety but pauses when he sees you feeding and petting the creature. "What... in the hell?"

[___]

"So he's a vegetarian," you announce once the team makes it to the other end of the pass with the help of the unagi.

Tonraq and Iroh stare at it with a bewildered look. "...And what exactly are we going to do with him?" Iroh questions lowly.

"I thought we could keep him as a pet, just like Hammy." At the sound of his name, Hammy emerges from your pocket with a beaming smile. "Look how cute he is!"

"You do know that unagis are one of the most dangerous beasts of the sea," Tonraq states.

All four of you glance over at the unagi, who is happily chewing on some lettuce. You can practically see hearts floating above it, its body dancing around with glee. "Are you really sure about that?" Haku asks.

You send Iroh an expectant stare. "Please? We really do need something to help transport us around."

It's hard for Iroh to decline your plea, his emotions getting the best of him. "Fine, but if you want to keep him, you have to promise me one thing," Iroh sighs while shaking his head.

"Of course!"

"Hammy is... not a serious name. You have to give that creature a better name than what you gave him. If I hear Fishy, I think you'll be eaten."

You think long and hard about this, formulating a name based on the criteria. "I got it. The most serious name for a pet."

"What is it?" Tonraq remains hesitant on the situation. First, he worries for the safety of the group. But now he feels more afraid of what might come out of your mouth, knowing you to be quite an oddity. 

And you prove him right.

"It's... President of the Republic of Vegetarianism." The unagi smiles at the name, and you know you did right in naming the beast. "There, it's settled!"

"NO!" Haku exclaims as the others groan in disbelief. "NO! YOU'RE BANISHED FROM NAMING ALL OF OUR TEAM'S PETS!!!"

[___]

A/N: Okay readers, please welcome the newest addition to the team! President of the Republic of Vegetarianism! And what are their stats? Well let's see below:

President:
- Strength: 10/10
- Cuteness: 11/10
- Vegetarian: 9/10
- Carnivorous: 1/10 (when angry)

Wow! So useful! Let's give them a round of applause and accept them into the adventure ahead! (itoldyouguystonevertakemeseriouslyandnowihavegivenyouthatreasonsorry)