『unacquired justice

A/N: I hope you don't freak out too much over the large time skip.. Still trying to follow the canon somewhat. These next few chapters takes place before, during, and after season 4 of TLoK. Don't worry, I'll add little stamps of which episode these scenes take so you can go back and watch if you need a refresher.  ANYWAYS, this is a short chapter but the next one is going to be much longer and more emotional, I might post it at the end of this month to compensate the length of this chapter but the editing for it is taking longer than usual. I'm gonna shut up now so you can start reading, unless you skipped this then lmao

[x]

[Twelve Years Later]

The clock's methodical clicks announces each second that passes and lulls Republic City's General into a haze as he recalls his dream from last night. Familiar tresses blanketed his vision, your face smiling gently at him. You were speaking to him about several different topics in your usual animated way. Not once did he cease to be enthralled by your chatter; not once did he cease to be in love with you; not once has he forgotten you.

Iroh's daydream of you dissipates at the raptures against his door. Golden hues watch carefully as his assistant opens the door for his friend. "Haku, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

Haku thanks the assistant before closing the door. "Would you believe me if I said that I am hiding?"

A chuckle rumbles out the General's mouth. "A twelve year old, an eight year old, and now twins. I can't blame you for feeling crazy."

Haku cannot help but laugh along. "It certainly is tumultuous, but now with my father's retirement, he enjoys spending time with the grandchildren."

"Oh, that's right. Councilman Haku!"

"Hush, that title is basically nothing with the President in power."

"You still have some authority." Iroh gazes down at his desk which is littered with requests and forms. All must be completed by the end of the week yet he finds distaste in paperwork and decides to procrastinate on them.

"Hardly. I actually came here to speak upon two different matters." Haku follows his friend's gaze and clenches his teeth. "There's an odd thing going on in the Earth Kingdom. Rumor has it that a woman is uniting many cities and villages under her banner."

"Yes, I have intel on it... Her name is Kuvira and we are monitoring the situation. However, President Reiko has me on a short leash at the moment. He's frustrated with the spirit vines infiltrating the city and the ongoing disruption in day-to-day matters... He's also aware of my allegiance to the Avatar."

"I see. I never thought I'd see Iroh on a short leash."

Iroh scoffs, "Well, there you have it."

"Amazing."

"What's the other thing?"

"Well, I'm not done with the first." Haku smiles sheepishly. "Actually, I suppose there isn't much you can do if you say that President Reiko has you stationed here."

"I'm patrolling since he wants to keep Republic City protected. Anything outside of the city holds little value to him. If you were asking for me to help stop Kuvira, I can't until she sets her sights on the city."

A small pout forms on Haku's lips. "I understand. I sure do miss the days of our adventures--"

His lips seal at the mention of the past while eyeing his friend with sympathy. Iroh understands his apprehension and shakes his head. "It's fine. I too am quite fond of the past."