『until we meet again

"Do you think we can find some inside?" you ask while wandering deeper into the decrepit forest. Though you feel as if describing such a place as a forest is inaccurate with the greenery blackened with anger due to a decade of decay.

"Maybe if it is an herb found on dead foliage," Zaheer speaks up as he presses his hand on the tree.

A howling sound reverberates in the distance, but it is far enough to not warrant any alarm. You continue your search as Korra sleeps soundly in the makeshift harness on your back. Hearing her deep breathing affords some concern, but you continue your search.

Hammy's family aids in the pursuit, all of them scattered about in hopes of aiding the Avatar. Upon seeing one of the rodents appear with a small plant, you halt your lackluster search. You kneel down on the floor and take it out of their claws. 

"Oh, so there's some deeper within!" you gasp. With quickened steps, you intend to travel further inside yet pause at the sound of the howls again. "What is that?"

Zaheer stares intently at the barren landscape below. The echoes of the noise dance off the snowy mountains, breaking the tundra's peaceful silence. As they come closer, you hold onto the harness in a protective gesture. 

When the howls grow louder, it's then you realize that they are not from the native wolves. They're synthetic in nature, the tones akin to that of a human. You glance over at Zaheer warily, but he stares back at you with apathy.

"W-What-"

"I am sorry," Zaheer states as he holds out a pyrotechnic. His raises his arm and pulls down the string inside it, igniting its catalyst to spurt out a giant firework. It travels high into the air with a screeching sound and blasts out a puff of red smoke. 

You take a few steps backwards as your mind processes the multitude of variances created from this. However, you understand the more dire of consequences: the Red Lotus has now found you before your allies. "You... You bastard! I let you live!"

"Only the foolish preserve their humanity in times of crisis," Zaheer sneers. 

"Are you serious?" you exclaim. "Humanity is what makes us different from animals! It's what allows us to connect and be a civilization. Just how far detached are you from being human?!"

"For freedom, there is nothing I won't do."

"And you feel that your actions will be justified once you gain untethered freedom." Your expression morphs into panic, your heart drumming with adrenaline at your next course of action. "Zaheer, is this really a righteous path?"

You spot his stern expression waver, yet you know convincing him to leave his hard-pressed ideals at this opportune moment will never happen. He is too blinded by them to believe in anything else.

"You will see, Zaheer." Your  voice is low with a threatening tone. "If you forcibly remove power, you will worsen people's greed for it and less freedom will ensue."

"Is that so?" Zai Bau hums as finishes propelling himself over to you with his firebending. "Well, you're forgetting one piece of the puzzle. Once the spirit portals open, once spirits and humans clash, natural order will be restored and there will be no need for such oppressive powers."

Your eyes scan the area for any more of his companions but none appear. You face Xai Bau and Zaheer alone with Korra weakened on your back. Time has run out and you have nowhere to run.

At the sound of fire scorching and ice clashing in the distance, hope rises to tip of your throat. "Oh, it appears your friends have finally arrived."

Courage strengthens at the thought of your allies fighting. "You have nowhere to run if you steal the Avatar from me," you growl out. 

Xai Bau finds little amusement in your threats and sighs, "You underestimate our resolve, and that is your downfall... Zaheer, grab her."