『a tale of you

A/N: Woah I'm super late to posting! Sorry about that ._.;; I promise an update will come quicker after this chapter. But ayyy we're finally back on track with the story! Hope you guys enjoyed the small little segments this past month //I know they were filler chapters but I wanted to make my babies grow ;_;  So yeah another guest in this chapter, THE BIGGEST GUEST OF ALL!

Please enjoy <3

{______}

It's been eight hours since you began your search for a shirshu handler and you find yourself empty-handed. None of them want anything to do with you as they are heavily protective of their pets... despite the obnoxious amount of money you offer. 

You were by the last shirshu handler, who currently resides in the lower ring. The man is middle-aged and sports an odd scar across his left eye. You'd be lying if you said that his gruff appearance didn't intimidate you, but you have to complete this job even if it might end Iroh's adventure.

Heaving out a sigh, your mood worsens and the man before you notices. "I said I'll help, girlie. Just need the hair. If the guy is in the area, I'll have him in the palace by tomorrow."

Relief should be your main reaction, but you feel dread instead. It's like you're making Iroh walk the plank, and maybe he should for keeping all those secrets from you!... But then again, you've been keeping secrets from him too.

You finish your transaction with the guy, handing over Iroh's lock of hair and a down payment. Your fingers are unwilling to let those strands go, but your mind is rational enough to force them into submission. The moment you finish, you depart from the man's tiny shack and into the dusty streets. You don't pay any mind to your surroundings, walking forward as your brain dwells on your guilt. 

It isn't until you bump into a hard surface that you stop your trek. You glance up to see a rather buff man; his clothes are in tatters and he smells like dirt and sweat. You step backwards and notice the other men circling you. Their gazes promise a world of hurt as they hold their weapons ready to strike.

Your fear rouses your companion from your pocket as Hammy takes his spot on your shoulder. He shoots them an intimidating glare, but they ignore him, underestimating the hamster's strength. "U-Umm... This isn't looking good, Hammy."

"Excuse me," a deep yet light-hearted voice interrupts. The owner of that voice gently floats to your side and suddenly the men that surround you are pushed back by an invisible force until they land on their backs.

They all groan in pain and remain collapsed on the floor, rendering you safe. You glance to the right and spot familiar garbs and a familiar face. The person stares down at you with a kind smile, and your jaw drops.

"A-A-A-A-AVATAR AAAAAAANG!!!! OHMIGOD!!!!"

[_____]

As per the Avatar's request, you two hurry to the middle ring for a nice hot cup of tea. Once you two are settled, he begins to chastise you. "You are aware that the lower ring is not a place for you to wander. There are dangerous groups lurking there." 

You leave your cup of tea untouched as you squirm in your chair. "Sorry...I was doing a job."

"Didn't I see you at the Northern Water Tribe traveling with a group?"

Your features brighten at the fact that he remembered your small encounter with him. "So it was you who let us in!"

Aang laughs at your enthusiasm. "Yes, I recognized your group."

You're starstruck that he remembered you and you allow your mouth to run amok. "So what were you doing in the lower ring, Avatar Aang?"

"I was following up on some leads... And also accompanying the Fire Lord," he grins. You notice that he's withholding a lot of information from you, but you don't pry. You already acquired enough information from the Avatar.

"The Fire Lord is here!"

"Yes, he's looking for someone at the moment, which reminds me... I have to go meet up with him soon."

"W-WAIT!" you gasp out as you grab his sleeve. 

Your eyes are like swirls. You want to interrogate the Avatar as much as possible, pick at his brain, discover more than what a book can tell you. Desperation radiates from your expression, and he notices. "Is there something else you want?"

'THINK OF ANYTHING! WHEN WILL YOU EVER GET THIS CHANCE AGAIN!'

Your mouth stutters with a question as you dig up a topic you can ask. When your brain finally presents one, your mouth spits it out without review. "SO THERE'S THIS BOY I LIKE!"

A brief pause of silence ensues, and you mentally curse at yourself. There were so many intellectual questions you could have asked, but you decided to plead for advice about love instead. Thankfully, Aang takes in stride and smiles widely.

"Oh?"

Upon noting his interest in the subject, you roll with it and continue to explain. "He's an idiot and is only focused on our journey. He's also keeping a lot of secrets from me...but I can understand since I haven't told him anything about myself."

You recall his hesitant expression. He would have broken under pressure if you had forced him to spit out the details. The only reason you didn't was because you were...

"I'm scared to find out what he's keeping from me. I'm terrified to find out that my love for him has a dead end."

"Hmm... I feel like I was somewhat in your same predicament," Aang recalls. He strokes his beard, and there's a lighthearted sparkle in his eyes that puts you at ease. "My wife didn't want anything to do with me until after the war."

"But I'd understand her position. You guys were at war," you point out. 

"I was also younger and lanky," he adds.

"But you were the AVATAR!"

Aang thinks back on his adventures and smiles to himself. "All that doesn't matter when you're on a journey together. To her, I was just a boy with a purpose. She knew that my responsibility as the Avatar came first before a relationship... I was too impatient to see that."

"I see... There are times when I notice that he's struggling with something internally. I just can't help my feelings," you groan. "This is the first time I've ever really been in love."

"Haha! You remind me of myself," Aang chuckles. His comment doesn't help, and you continue to curse at your predicament. He realizes your ongoing worry and strokes his beard once more. "I suggest you take more time to get to know one another."

"He won't tell me much. He's also scared."

Aang smiles warmly at you. "It's okay, I learned more about Katara and her father late into our trip together. Give Iroh the chance to change into the man he wants to be, and then you can decide whether you want to continue pursuing him."

His advice puts you at ease, and your troubles dissipate. "Thank you, I'll try doing that."

Aang stands from his chair and reaches over to pat your head. For a moment, you envy those with a father, but you've accepted your childhood that you swallow that emotion. "I'm sure you'll find the happiness you're looking for."

Your eyes widen at his parting words. You had never expressed the true goal of your journey, but of course, the Avatar could spot it from a mile away. It wasn't knowledge or curiosity that propelled you into leaving your lifestyle. You just wanted to find your happiness somewhere.

"I'll do my best!"

Aang grins at your reaction. "Be careful not to meddle around the lower ring again. There's a dark presence growing, and it's best if you avoid it."

After you finish your tea, the two of you go your separate ways. Your mind focuses now on your new outlook on your journey... instead of focusing on the dark presence that Aang spoke of watching you carefully.

"I found her."