『ren, the first

A/N: A short one but it's cute. All I can say is 'oh how the tables have turned'.

[_]

"Have you thought of a name yet?"

Despite his eyes on the paperwork in front of him, Iroh gives your question careful consideration. He has conjured up a plethora of names over the course of eight months. Each has been met with fervent disapproval by every family member... as if they had any claim to the naming process!

"I tried a lot of 'z' iterations," he sighs while reclining in his chair. His hands swing to rest behind his head as his gaze travels to the ceiling. "No one is ever happy with them."

You quietly laugh as you recall all his attempts. "It reminds me of those days when you banned me from naming. Now the tables have turned."

He lets out a grunt of annoyance. "Prez and Hammy were not the greatest names."

"They liked it and that's what matters!" you retort.

Recollections of his adventures always stir a fondness of the past, but those names sour whatever goodwill he holds. After having forbidden you from any naming, the self-appointed mantle riddles him with anxiety. "Man, this is so difficult."

"Imagine if we have another, then you'd have to do it again," you tease.

"I wouldn't mind the process," he smirks, earning him a grumble from you. "Besides, this shouldn't be so hard if people didn't meddle."

"Well, you used random words and added a 'z' to them. Zomato instead of tomato. Ziligence instead of diligence. Prize instead of pride— which you forgot was an actual word."

Hearing the flaw in his thinking weakens his bravado. "Okay, okay, I get it."

"Our children aren't receiving any title from the royal line," you remind him. "We don't have to follow the tradition with their names."

"A name with no z?" he asks with an arched eyebrow while his brain warms up to the idea.

You shrug, "Iroh the third?"

His smile softens at the thought of a son named after him. Many hail Iroh the first as a great man, having accomplished much and standing proud as a hero to a lot. Iroh himself tries to follow the legacy of his name, but its weight is heavy. His titles, obligations, and divine right to rule were all suffocating him until he couldn't breathe within the palace walls.

To bestow that burden on his son would feel hypocritical and go against the growth he experienced during his adventures. "No, no. I want to do something different." His gaze returns to the work in front of him. Although his eyes read each word, none of it registers in his head until they land on an individual name.

You watch as his expression brightens. "Did you figure something out?"

"I know what to call our son."

[_]

Dinner resumes at its usual time with everyone present. They speak among one another, reciting the contents of their menial day and enjoying the taste of perfection. Iroh and you converse with his sister, mindless chatter about firebending and whatnot.

Until she asks a question that steals everyone's attention. "Have you finally thought of a name yet? I'm very excited to hear another Iroh classic."

Zuko joins in, "I think Zaang was a very nice choice."

His sister scoffs, "That's because it has your friend's name in it."

"He was the Avatar that stopped the 100 year war," he retorts, "how is that not a fine name?"

You continue eating your hearty meal as you spectate the interrogation. Iroh seems pleased with himself but a tad bit nervous to utter his choice. They take advantage of his silence and argue among each other.

"Why don't you name it after your father?" Fire Lord Izumi comments.

"No, make it after me!" his sister exclaims.

"It's a boy though," Zuko retorts.

"Still a great name!"

"Iroh the third seems nice too," General Azusa chuckles.

"All I know is that whatever Iroh chooses, it's going to be dumb," his sister mumbles against her spoon.

"Manners!" his mother chastises her.

With your elbow, you nudge Iroh gently. He eyes you, and you give him a nod. As always, his heart is the safest in your company, and he makes the plunge. "I already have a name!"

They finish their bickering, and the room grows quiet with anticipation. They do send you a glance to see if you are agreeable to the name. From how you grin, they kill any gibes they have in store for the disappointment.

"Our son will be named Ren!"

The name doesn't align with the customs of the royal family, but the more they ponder on the name, the more they realize that Iroh has always gone against the grain when it came to his royal duties. He never allowed customary chains to rule his actions or thoughts. It's why he traveled away when he was 16. It's why he abdicated his right to rule. It's why he became the general for the Republic army. That's why it feels right to everyone. 

"I hope Ren isn't as thick headed as you," his sister states, her words signifying her acceptance of the name.

"Ren will probably take most of [Name]'s qualities since Iroh is away a lot," his mother responds. "He might even think that someone else is his father. Poor little Ren..."

"Why do you guys tease me so much?" Iroh exhales.

While the whole family returns to their chatter, you glance down at your belly, holding it tight as you smile to yourself. 'I hope they treat you better than they treat your father, Ren.'