『they lurk in the shadows

Bright and early, you and Korra travel to a small pond. Not just any pond, a spiritual pond nestled deep inside the palace! Unalaq made the suggestion during an early breakfast when it was just you, him, Korra and Hieu seated at the table.

As odd as the request was, you agreed to it under the guise of spiritual training for Korra. If the girl can get in touch with her otherworldly responsibilities early in her life, the better for her. Though you too find interest in the pond due to its historic and inhuman nature.

You inspect the area with marveling awe. To see plush greenery and a warmth in the air despite frozen tundra surrounding it provides a feel the spiritual enlightenment. Although you have read much about the connection of the spirit world and yours, you never experienced its touch. Yet here you stand in the heart of it, discovering its beauty.

"Do what you will," Unalaq hums as he begins to depart.

You furrow your brows and turn to face the man whom you thought would kick you out after five minutes of witnessing the place. "W-Wait. You want to leave us alone in this area?"

"Well, your bodyguard must come as well. Korra cannot be alone so you can watch her," Unalaq explains with a foreign nonchalance.

Hieu remains stationed by your side, unmoving by Unalaq's suggestion. You eye him warily while pondering on what to do. "Maybe you can stay with her? I don't have your wisdom to guide Korra correctly. I also wouldn't know what to do should she journey to the spirit world."

You thought that by admitting to your lack of knowledge, Unalaq would jump at the chance to be her guiding mentor. However, he stands there apathetic and annoyed. "There isn't much to provide a child. Just make sure she doesn't touch the koi, and keep your bodyguard by the entrance."

His curt explanation leaves you stunned as he departs the area, leaving you to make your decision. "I guess the less the better for Korra?"

"I would rather not leave you alone," Hieu states.

"This is the most spiritual place in the area. I'm sure it's heavily guarded, and honestly, I think you can stand just outside the door should we need you," you laugh.

He stands firm in his convictions. "No, I shouldn't leave your side."

"O-Okay."

"You cannot find spiritual peace if there are several people here." Unalaq returns with a sour look. It seems he just noticed Hieu's unwillingness and wants to usher the man's presence outside. "Only two people and that's it."

Judging by his tone, there is no room for negotiation and you nod at Hieu. "Sorry, just wait by the door."

"Fine." Hieu glares at Unalaq, who cares little for the man's emotions. Instead, he saunters away in the direction of his next task. Hieu shuffles past the door, sending you one last look before closing it.

You stand there in silence, your mind dizzy with confusion yet the sound of something splashing breaks your haze. When you whip your head around, you spot Korra playing in the water with the two koi while her clothes lay discarded beside the rim of the pond.

"K-KORRA!!" you groan as you sprint over.

[x]

Haku reads through the documents you handed him not too long ago. The Conflict Resolution you compiled certainly proves your spectacular attention to detail, making for great reading material during his breakfast.

As much as he enjoys a good meal in the presence of his friends, his wife seems to be having a tough time with her morning sickness. Not wanting her to remain alone, he decided it best to stay behind and eat with her in the room.