『a moment of solace

The second you enter the front desk of the inn, you are confronted by two relieved yet angered faces. Each step towards them is filled with trepidation, and you try to make light of the situation.

"H-Hi, guys..." There's an attempt to wave at them, but your hand returns to your side in a timid fashion. Your carefree attitude is doing nothing to ease the tension as much as you had wanted it to.

There's a stare off between the three of you; it's silent until finally, Iroh decides to speak up. "Where were you?!"

You instinctively look at anywhere but him. "The library."

"But we checked every library!" Haku interjects.

"Which one did you check?" you ask, tilting your head at him.

Your question fuels Iroh's anger, and the volume of his voice rises to match that anger. "The main one and EVERY SINGLE LIBRARY IN THIS DAMN CITY!"

You flinch at his shouts and seal your mouth close in fear of his next reprimand. Haku, being the oldest of the three, recognizes his role in the group, and with a deep sigh, he approaches you with a calmer touch. "[Name], where did you go?" 

"The library!" you defend hastily. "I was in the restricted section in secret."

Iroh throws his arms in the air with disbelief. There are a million words he wants to say to you right now, but he's having a hard time choosing. "Do you NOT understand our worry?"

"I'm sorry..."

"You're a girl in an unknown city. Don't even say that you can take care of yourself because you can't." He's still seething but his tone becomes softer as he speaks. "If you say that we will meet up at a certain time, you need to be there at that time or we'll believe that the worst has happened to you."

"..." You glance away as a deep frown marks your face.

"Is there something the matter?" Iroh asks, his reprimands now gone.

"Why do you care so much when you hardly know me?"

The statement comes off a lot colder than you had anticipated. Surely if Iroh had done the same to you, you would have worried for his safety as well. But that's probably because you love him. He, on the other hand, does not love you in that way, so why bother with you?

"Aren't we friends?" he answers with little thought behind his words.

Your voice gets caught in your throat, and you realize your mistake. "Yeah... Ugh I'm sorry you two. I didn't take into account your feelings when I ventured off to read. I'm not used to people caring about my whereabouts. They just always assumed I'll be home late because I'm reading. I mean, nothing ever happens to a bookworm, right?"

"You're still a girl," Iroh states. "You have more of a chance attracting a creep than I do. Remember that!" You feel relief as you return to Iroh's good graces. 

"I accept your apology," Haku smiles.

"Well, should we do a group hug?" you suggest with open arms.

There isn't a sliver of hesitation as the two boys approach you and take you up on your offer, pulling you into a huddle. The feel of them so close to you, uninhibited by any social standings and motivated by friendship, warms your heart. A smile radiates from your face in response.

"Okay!" Iroh exclaims, having reverted to his more boyish side. "What now?"

"This place seems hostile, I'm not sure we can continue wandering around here," Haku ponders as he strokes his goatee. 

"Yeah, apparently there was a conflict with the barbarians, and the crown prince ruined the sacred forest in the midst of it all," you recite your findings. "He was banished and everything!"

Haku's mood dampens, "...So it's clearly not the time to be wandering around here."

"No, it is!" you gasp. "We need to visit that forest tomorrow to see the aftermath!"

"T-That's not a good idea--"

"LET'S DO IT!" Iroh shouts while cutting off Haku. There's a twinkle in his eye at the thought of adventure, and you are quick to mirror it as well.

"Okay! The sacred forest tomorrow!"

"...Definitely not a good idea," Haku sulks to himself.