『a daisy in the snow

A/N: I swear, this group is absolute crack. Anyways, you know when you write so much that everything begins to feel repetitive and like a blur? That's where I am right now e_e;; I might hit pause of updating so I can take a break and then come back to it with a fresh mind... though I still have a few chapters typed up... Hmm I'll think about it and let you guys know next week haha

[___]

With each crunch of snow, Tonraq's guilt weighs heavier and heavier. You notice that from how the skin between his eyebrows creases and his downcast gaze holding steady on the floor. It's been that way ever since you left Sokka's igloo and you feel a need to inquire. "Everything alright, Tonraq?"

Tonraq's shoulders drop in shame as he heaves out a long sigh before answering. "I know we're supposed to be exploring the world and having adventures... Yet here we are tied to something. I'm sorry for--"

The tribesman, who was tasked with leading you to your temporary igloo, clears his throat. The four of you give him a side glance, and he knows has interrupted an important moment. "I'll leave you be then." He departs, leaving you guys to address Tonraq's concerns. 

Thankfully, Iroh takes charge as he expresses his thoughts on the matter. "Well, it's not like planning a festival isn't an adventure in itself. I've never planned one, let alone in a place so unknown to me."

"Same here!" you tack your opinion onto his. "I've only ever read about planning for war. Planning a festival seems really fun."

"I've helped with some festivals around the Earth Kingdom," Haku scratches the back of his head. "But never one from scratch AND for the water tribe."

Tonraq smiles at everyone's enthusiasm on the matter. "I appreciate that."

You raise your fist in the air excitedly. "Alright! Let's make this festival a success and show that Tonraq is worth having at the Southern Water Tribe!"

"Yeah!" Haku and Iroh exclaim in response. 

CRUNCH

You hear something fall in the snow and you all turn to see a girl around Tonraq's age with disheveled brown pigtails and water tribe gear. Her eyes are deeper than Tonraq's icy blue hues, and she stares at him in recognition.

"Senna?" Tonraq steps forward.

"Y-You really came here," she breathes out in awe. Quickly, she bends down to pick up the rather large basket of herbs, but Tonraq hurries over to help her. She allows him to recover the basket for her and gives him a grateful smile. "Thank you."

  Iroh, Haku, and you all group together to watch the ongoing reunion with curious expressions, and of course, you try to gather all the facts. "And you are?"

Senna's gaze slides over to you and she perks up for her introduction. "Ah--! I'm Senna! I met your friend here at the zoo in Ba Sing Se... And I do some assistant work for Master Katara here at the Southern Water Tribe, acquiring herbs for wherever she needs."

"So you know Katara?!" Haku gasps.

"Yes, I workly closely with Master Katara and Master Kya," she chirps.

As she speaks in a bubbly manner, Tonraq keeps his stare on all her mannerisms as if under some enchantment. His irises follow every move she makes, his smile growing wider every time she fumbles with her words. 

And under his glued attention, he notices a flower escape her sleeve and drift slowly down until it lands on the snow. "You dropped this," Tonraq states as he reaches forward to grab the fallen daisy. When he presents her the flower, her face drowns in every pigment of red until it settles on a neon shade.

"T-Thanks... A-Anyways, I have to get going!" she exclaims while hurrying off. "You know where to find me!"

Before anyone has a chance to inform her that there really wasn't any mention of where to find her, she scurries off with a vengeance. The moment she disappears from sight, everyone's gaze falls onto Tonraq and he can feel them burning a hole in his coat.

"Is that a romance brewing?" you hum with glee.

Tonraq glances around, trying to avoid eye contact, but that only intrigues the group more as you guys scoot closer. "Please... just don't meddle."

"AHHHHH SO IT IS!!!" you exclaim as you jump around. 

Haku groans at the news. "Ugh, I need a girlfriend."

"You can try with Prez," Iroh shrugs nonchalantly.

"With an unagi?! Must I go so low?!" Haku shouts in horror. "E-E-Either way, I have someone waiting for me back at home!"

Now, this grabs your attention and you slide back into the conversation. "Didn't she dump you because you didn't have facial hair?"

Haku's face pales at your question. "T-That was private, [Name]!... And apparently, that wasn't the whole story," he tries to explain. Meanwhile, Iroh begins to inspect Haku's barely-there hair and spits out a laugh. A glare comes his way, courtesy of Haku, and he tries to cover his laugh as best he can. "I SAW THAT IROH! AT LEAST I CAN GROW FACIAL HAIR!"

"I can try," Iroh says between each chuckle. 

You grasp your chest at the thought of your boyfriend sporting a beard. "Oh no, I don't think my heart can handle you with a beard."

Haku flings his arms in the air. "Why do you instantly assume he can grow a beard but I can't?"

"No offense but Hammy can grow a beard quicker than you," Iroh points out as he motions over to the rodent, who appears to be wiggling his eyebrows at the situation.

"YOU GUYS ARE SO MEAN TO ME!!" Haku screeches.