『a timely rescue [2]

A/N: I'm living the sad life atm. Last week I come back to edit this chapter so I can publish it, and then I realize that my draft is missing. I know I should keep my drafts separate from Watty but I'm lazy af. Ughhhh... In the end, I had to rewrite the chapter //cries eternally

[_____]   

Due to the menacing presence looming over Ba Sing Se, Aang and Zuko remain posted in the inner ring. With tea in their hands, they await the rambunctious group to pass through--although they hope that the matter isn't as dire as they believe it to be.

It takes twenty minutes for the rodent to return, this time with company. Three familiar teenagers sprint behind it with grave expressions; the two men hastily stand up from their chairs, pay their tab and head out.  

[_____]

"Can't you guys pull me a little nicer?" you mutter as the chains chafe your skin. You wince at the sores forming in those particular spots, yet the Dai Li pay no attention to you. They pull you along, marching along the sandy planes where the ocean calmly watches. 

A shaky sigh escapes you while your nerves buzz with fear. You have this ominous feeling that the world might never see you again, and the only witness of your disappearance will be the Dai Li and the ocean waves. As beautiful as the scenery is, you wish you can go back to the safety of your home back in the Fire Nation.

You try your best to swallow your fears before they devour your first. A desire for strength is the closest you can get to that characteristic, forcing you to keep still and await your friends. By now, Hammy should have completed his task--that is if he understood your telepathic request. 

'O-Oh no, what if he didn't?!' you worry to yourself. 

"ACK!" one of your capturers screams as they fall to the floor. The chains on your feet rattle a bit until the pulling motion loosens. You blink a few times as hope resonates within your body.

"WHAT ARE YOU--"

Another member of the Dai Li falls, and you glance around to see your saviors. Seedy-looking individuals face you, their gazes appearing to hold no remorse and no vitality. 

"You're not my friends..."

"No, but our master has called for you," one man says in a sinister voice.

[_____]

"Are you sure that she's here?" Tonraq asks skeptically while eyeing the rodent who led them to the Earth Kingdom's palace. Hammy scans the area for any signs of you, but his expectant attitude deflates at your disappearance.

Iroh ignores the question, his attention focused on a certain individual who resides at the top of the stairs. "Mel..." he breathes out.

Said girl begins to descend from the stairs, her robes flowing with each step. Once she's in close proximity, her angered expression is the first to greet them. "I found it odd that my adviser refused to give up your location. It appears you have been cheating on me, dearest Iroh."

Haku's jaw drops, while Tonraq stiffens up. They both have so much to ask, but they leave it up to Iroh to respond to her claims. The boy sighs, unbothered by her accusations. "Where is she?"

"Do you even CARE about our relationship?"

"You're holding my friend hostage when it isn't her fault," he tries to reason calmly.

"No... I have no tolerance for cheating, Iroh. If it means I have to execute that stupid girl, I will."

Iroh's calm facade shatters at the threat of your life. "COME ON, MEL!" The girl flinches and takes a step back. "That's such a dumb thing to do! You should be angry at me, not her!"

Her face pales at his rebuttal. "S-Since when did you start talking back to me?"

"It was fun hanging out with you, but you're putting someone's life in danger," Iroh continues with clenched teeth. "Give me back [Name] now!"

Fuu strides up to the group, her face mirroring that of Mel's. However, it's for different reasons and she takes her time in cutting in. "E-Even if we were to return her, she's gone missing."

The group now directs their attention on Fuu, and it's Mel that speaks up despite her refusal to let you go. "Did she break free?"

"Apparently, a group of bandits took over and now have custody of that girl. One of the Dai Li rushed over to tell me that," she explains nervously.

Mel returns her gaze on Iroh, but she freezes in her spot. To see his expression so heartbroken... She now knows his true feelings for this girl called [Name]. Although anger rises from the pit of her stomach, she holds in her emotions. "W-Well, at least she no longer is being held captive by us--"

"You kids are making such a mess," a familiar voice flits over. The group turns to face two middle-aged men striding over to them. A gasp tears from Mel and Fuu's throats and they quickly hide behind the three boys.

"Gramps, they took her," Iroh groans.

"I heard. And I have a feeling I know who took her too," Zuko responds.

"We have to hurry now if we want to save her," Aang adds. "They should still be around the area."

"I'll go too," Iroh quickly says, "and I'm NOT taking no for an answer."