Chapter 16

3rd POV~

Outside Meduseld.

"By order of the king, the city must empty. We make for the refuge Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourselves with treasures. Take only what provisions you need," Háma said to the three.

"Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?" Gimli pointed out.

"He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past," Aragon assured Gimli.

"There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Théoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defences HAVE to hold," Gandalf spoke up causing everyone to get chills.

"They will hold," Aragon spoke surely.

Gandalf turns to his white stallion Shadowfax and strokes him softly.

"The Grey Pilgrim... That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now I have no time. With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East," Gandalf sighed.

Aragon opens the stall doors when he mounts Shadowfax.

"Go," he orders while Legolas jumps out of the way when Gandalf rides over the plains of Rohan.

Éowyn opens a chest in which lies a sword.

She unsheathes it and begins to practice. She swings around and is met by Aragorn, who blocks her parry.

"You have some skill with a blade," Aragon complimented.

With a swift move, Éowyn swings her sword and renders Aragorn vulnerable, gaining the upper hand.

She steps back and sheaths her sword.

"Women of this country learned long ago: Those without swords may still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain," she spoke confidently.

"What do you fear, my lady?" Aragon asked.

"A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire," Éowyn spat bitterly.

"You are a daughter of kings, a shieldmaiden of Rohan," Aragon sheaths his knife. "I do not think that would be your fate,"

He bows as Éowyn gazes after him when he walks away.

~~~

The people of Rohan are moving out of Edoras towards Helm's Deep, with Théoden leading the way.

~~~

At Isengard, Gríma confers with Saruman, holding a cloth to his mouth.

"Théoden will not stay at Edoras. It's vulnerable, he knows this. He will expect an attack on the city. They will flee to Helm's Deep, the great fortress of Rohan. It is a dangerous road to take through the mountains. They will be slow. They will have women and children with them," Gríma speaks to him.