Chapter 08

3rd POV~

You notice Frodo staring at Ring in an unusual manner as you placed a hand on his shoulder to make sure he's alright.

"Then what are we waiting for?!" Gimli jumps to his feet with his axe in hand.

Before anyone could stop him he slammed his axe down on the Ring only to have him blown backwards.

The Ring is unharmed but Frodo groans slightly putting a hand on his forehead as both you and Gandalf look at him in concern.

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom...only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor, and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this," Elrond looked across all of you.

There is a stunned silence as Boromir addresses the council quietly.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust...The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly," Boromir looked to everyone even though you weren't really all amused.

"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed," Legolas snapped impatiently at the man.

You nodded slightly in agreement.

"And I suppose you're the one to do it?" Gimli hissed grouchily.

"And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his," Boromir continued making you groan in annoyance.

"I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" Gimli yelled.

Everyone soon started to argue loudly as your eyes were wide just awkwardly watching them bicker wanting no part of this.

Frodo continued to stare at the ring in a feverish state as you noticed signaling Gandalf at Frodo's odd behavior.

"Do you not understand? While we bicker among ourselves, Sauron's power grows! No one will escape it. You will all be destroyed, your homes burnt and your families put to the sword," Gandalf shouted.

Suddenly Frodo jumped to his feet in a strong clear voice catching you by surprise.

"I will take it... I will take it.. I will take the Ring to Mordor," Frodo announced causing dead silence.
"Though I do not know the way.." He spoke quietly.

You smiled standing to your feet patting his shoulder offering your help in a silent gesture as he nodded at you.

"I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear," Gandalf rose to his feet as well.

"If, by my life or death, I can protect you, I will," Strider kneels before Frodo. "You have my sword," Aragorn steps forward...followed by Legolas and Gimli.

"You have my bow," Legolas joined in.

"And my axe," Gimli smiled slightly.

"And my trust and protection," you spoke softly causing Frodo to smile up at you widely.

"You carry the fate of us all, little one," Boromir muttered after everyone was done offering their part.

"If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done," Boromir turned towards Gandalf and Elrond.

Frodo feels a gleam of hope in his chest as everyone is ready to head out.