20| тнє bєтяαyαl

3/28/19

Thank you guys for waiting! I started a new fanfiction for Lord of the Rings, when I will officially put together when I'm finished with this. FIRST CHAPTER IS PUBLISHED! This is almost done guys, thanks for all the support! Autumn Wings has reached over 8k reads and this one has almost 3k! Only a two or three more chapters of this.

Chapter Twenty: The betrayal

A sudden pang in my forehead made me stumble forward, both of us yelping as I teetered on the very edge, a crack splitting across the area we had been standing on not a moment before. We were now trapped against the very edge of the rocky cliff. I tried not to cry out in pain as the throb worsened, sending a deafening sound through my ears, like a... Like a million wings beating at once.

I knew this sound, and wasn't yet sure whether or not I would like whatever it meant this time. Just as the rocks beneath us gave way, I let out an angry cry, clutching onto Rosebud and throwing myself forward at full speed.

One moment, we were in sync with the flying debris.

And the next, we were plummeting.

Wind whipped around us, taking over every other noise, even outdoing the ringing of the sound that had consumed my mind only moments ago. I let out a long yell, feeling my skin burning as if on fire as we shot down the four hundred foot drop.

Red and gold flakes began biting at me, and I let out a cry as I felt my skin cracking open with light. I glimpsed the ground coming closer, closer, closer... but this time, it was not one of the many roads that surrounded my home, the wonderful city of New York, but instead was made of treacherous rocks and muddy plains.

The wind suddenly slammed us around, and I yelped in fear, still clutching tightly to Rosebud as we shot back up into the air. The sudden change of direction made my head jerk to the side, and I whimpered in pain.

But I stopped as soon as I realized that we were now gliding through the air. I looked back over my shoulder, mask fluttering in the wind, as my eyes landed on the huge black wings sprouted from my back. They glistened in the distant blue light of the forcefield and much nearer light of the tower, reflecting it as if mirrors of the beauty.

And then, of course, we crashed.

I had not realized that we were nearing the path— much farther along then we would've been by now— and I landed flat on my stomach, skidding along the dirt for a few moments. Rosebud had fallen from my grasp, thankfully only a few feet above the ground, and managed to land on her feet, as expected from a... feline type of creature.

Ow...

"Ughhhhhhhh...." I heard Rosebud groan, dropping to the ground and licking her bloody paws. "Mikey... that was cool and unexpected and all... but I think I would've preferred the Pegasus..." She whimpered, referring to her earlier sarcastic remark as she hastily lifting her forepaw.

"Sorry, ha, I wasn't looking." I nervously laughed, tilting my head a bit and closing my eyes as I grinned.

*                        *                        *

We traveled for a bit more, and to my surprise, Rosebud did not ask any questions about my wings. Now that I thought about it, she didn't seem completely surprised either. Maybe she suspected it, with the "winged warrior" thing and all.

When we made it to a bottom of a steep cliff that loomed far upwards, covered in boulders and loose rocks, I sighed. I debated if I should just use my wings to take us up, but Rosebud spoke before I could think into it.