17| Bɭooɗ ʌŋɗ ʛoɭɗ

2/17/19

Happy late Valentine's Day guys! We are almost at the end of the book! I'm predicting that it'll probably end for sure by chapter 25~

Chapter Seventeen: Blood and gold

I hissed in pain, wrapping my arm across my stomach as I kneeled, face inches away from the ground. Tears began pooling at the corners of my eyes.

"Eäʀɩ..." The voice. I've heard that word before. But unlike I had thought back then, it hadn't been one of the cloaked figures that said it. "Aĸîŋä... Eĸèłŋɩɭ..."

Jei.

Metal-like talons wrapped around me, bloody claw tips piercing my flesh. I desperately tried whipping back and forth, the cold snow burning my wounds even more, but prayed for them to be numbed so I could focus.

"The Power of Ravens. Haven't heard that term in quite a while, hmmmm?"

In an instant, I was suspended in the air before being slammed back to the earth. A crack rang out, and a sudden aching in my left foot made me flinch.

A scaled talon flipped me over and then drew back as the Akuma gazed down at me with soulless eyes, as if a mere reflection of the evil sorcerer upon its back. It let out a gurgling hiss as it dipped it's snout to hover inches from my face, scorching breath making my lungs freeze. I stared up at Jei with wide, anxious eyes.

It was as if the whole world had frozen over.

The howling wind had hushed it's frantic breezes to listen. The fluttering snowflakes suspended in midair, watching to see how it would end before they too could be submerged deep in the scarlet snow.

And all I could do was stare in silence as he leaned forward, revealing a sickening glint of his teeth as he whispered in a single breath...

"Long live the Winged Warrior."

A flash of red whipped above me, wavering in the air for a moment so that flaming scales could be seen by all... before the spiked tip veered down, and with a whip, was slashed deep into my chest.

Blood seeped across a lifeless hand as it's golden light flickered into darkness.

* * *

A loud screech pierced my ears, making me jolt awake. I rolled off of the mat, leaping to my feet and stumbling forward. My frantic breaths slowed as I struggled not to choke, wrapping my hands over my heart as the burning sensation slowly faded.

"Can— can I even trust reality anymore?" I whispered, shaking my head.

Jei made me experience that... Like that other time when he 'killed' me, Leo, Donatello, and Raph.

But one thing left me confused... the screeching hadn't stopped. I grabbed my animal skin sack and ran out of the cave, eyes landing on a flaming scarlet creature flapping it's mountainous wings as it flew into the setting sun.

Taking a deep breath, I gave one last glance back to the cavern that served as my temporary home.

"I'm sorry, Gia. I can't wait another moment."

I turned, running through the pine trees. Where the landscape cut down to a steep hill came to view, and my eyes flashed with fire, a long unused numbness slashing across my back with the fierceness of a thousand wolves.

As Raph would say...

"Finally, some action!"

I leapt into the air, wings glowing like embers in the light of the setting sun as I swept after the one who had started this all.