28 - 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔅𝔞𝔱𝔱𝔩𝔢 𝔅𝔢𝔤𝔦𝔫𝔰

Grimalkin woke up to the soft murmur of Tom's voice.  Delicious smells filled the room making her stomach grumble.  

"She's waking up," Tom said.

Grimalkin pulled herself up anxiously looking around for James.  Her face relieved when she heard the faint snores coming from his mouth.  She allowed herself a little smile and leaned down to kiss his cheek.  How could he do what no one had been able to do?  He made her soft.  He made her human again.  The cold-hearted witch assassin was now vulnerable.

"How are you feeling?" Tom asked.

"Much better, thanks.  Did Alice care for James?"

"Yes, she thinks he is on the mend.  He needs rest and food to restore him."

 "Can I get some of that food?  It smells good," she said.

Tom chuckled, "I hoped it would wake up James too.  I'll stay with him don't worry."

Grimalkin walked into the kitchen and saw Alice.  

"Alice, thank you for taking care of James. Do you think he'll be alright?"

"You know me, I don't give false hope.  I think he will make it.  His color is improving. Now we need to wait for him to wake up on his own.  I had to use my magic to save him."

"Thank you, Alice. If I can ever repay you... " her voice trailed off.

"He is Tom's brother and I would do anything for Tom."

"Yes," Grimalkin chuckled, "you literally went to hell and back for him."

Alice didn't smile.  The memory of that terrible time was still too fresh in her mind.

𝔗𝔦𝔪𝔢 𝔖𝔨𝔦𝔭 »»————->

Grimalkin stared out at the horizon, the night was starting to fall and the foreboding scene before her was heightening her senses.  The familiar feel of adrenaline pumping in her veins ready to kill or be killed.  There was so much to lose this time.  It wasn't just her life that was at stake it was the entire county.  But what pained her most was the thought of not seeing James again.  He was conscious again and had started to eat on his own.  Very weak but so lucky to be alive.  Tom had been right.  There was something special about this family.  As Tom had said, his mom had bread them to save the county and the world someday.  Would this be the day?

Grimalkin looked over to Tom mounted on his horse to her right.  Their eyes met and for a moment Tom saw the fear in her eyes.  They both knew what they faced.  Even with an army of men and the power of the witches, this was going to be a terrible battle with a huge price to pay.  Tom knew what mattered most to her cause he felt it too.  His love for Alice had sometimes torn him apart and saved him in others, but here she was by his side ready to die for him if she had to.  Alice had proven her loyalty to him so many times.  Grimalkin had also proved a true friend.  Notwithstanding her love for his brother, she fought fearlessly for her friends as well.

They had made their way through the misty night to reach the Kobalos stronghold.  As they feared, the berserkers attacked seemingly out of nowhere.  The dark silhouettes of the undead their only warning.  With her spear at her side and her knives at the ready, she went into battle.  The Berserkers were only the first line of defense for the Kobalos.  Grimalkin fought skillfully, anticipating her opponent's every move.  She made it seem easy and effortless.  Not only could she quickly kill her adversaries, but she also assisted her friends when they needed her the most.  Just when old Gregory was about to meet his maker, both Grimalkin and Alice came to his aide.  He thanked them breathlessly quickly turning to club a young Kobalos on the head knocking him senseless.  Tom had warned him not to get too close to the Kobalos breath and they took his advice with care.