10 - 𝔄 𝔑𝔢𝔴 𝔗𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔱

"How did you know he was in trouble? Tell me everything Alice, "the Spook asked. 

"I was supposed to meet him on the way to town like we did every Friday when he goes to get provisions. Just like that fateful day that we met on the road, we meet at the same spot," she said looking at the Spook accusingly, "since I'm not welcome at your house but I respect your wishes."

"I'm sorry Alice." 

She couldn't believe he actually said that.

For Lukrasta's benefit, she added, "We met when I saw some hungry lads following him up the hill to Chipenden to try to rob his food. Tom offered them apples but they wanted everything. I scared them off I did and Tom and I became friends after that. He was wary of me at first because of my pointy shoes and all, but he grew to trust me and I grew to care for him. We have been through so much together not even the devil could keep us apart. The day he went missing, I waited for him for a long time. He was never late so I thought he may have had spook's business. Then I couldn't wait anymore, I was just too anxious. I went to look for him. I started to get a bad feeling when there was no sign of him and I saw he wasn't home, that's when I found the note. It was pinned to a tree on Deadman's hill near his family farm and it said, "We have Alice, come alone."

"You silly boy," Alice said with a sob, "why didn't he ask for help before leaving? I didn't know where he was headed so I used my magic mirror to scry it. In it, I saw the hideous face of a wolf-like creature with the fur shaved off its face but instead of Tom's face, I saw James, his brother.  I instinctively knew where that was and ran all the way to James. I found him when he popped out from the bushes." 

"He cried out to me. 'Alice, how did you get away?' He said that Tom had gone to rescue me and had asked him to stay there and wait for him. I realized this was really bad because I remembered what Grimalkin had warned me about the Kobalos. Although I wasn't sure this was the threat, it was my best guess. I scried Grimalkin's whereabouts and told James where to find her. I told him to say Tom was in trouble quickly or Grimalkin might just kill him on the spot.  It was dangerous, but he was willing to do it for Tom."

Alice kept to herself that Grimalkin held the head of the Fiend since all the work to hobble the Fiend would be in peril if Lukrasta found out.  She was not going to make the mistake of not asking for help.  Lukrasta worships the Fiend and by default, he is her enemy but if he could help she was willing to accept it.

"Then I went looking for you." She continued.

"What do you know about the Kobalos?" The Spook asked.

"Grimalkin has told me they are a great threat from the north. They killed off all their women by sucking their blood like the vampirous beast they are and now are looking for human women to bear their offspring. They are slowly making their way South but because of the war most people are unaware of this greater peril."

"What do you know Gregory?"

"The information I have is not reliable. It was passed down a long time ago, but what you describe is similar to what I have heard.  How do they compare to the creatures you have seen in the dark?"

"Nothing compares to those terrifying creatures, but these creatures roam the earth and want to obliterate mankind."

Alice pulled a peculiar small mirror out of her bag. Much to the Spooks chagrin, she stared at it mouthing a spell, all her concentration on the task, as beads of sweat trickled down her face. She finally stopped and closed her eyes for a few moments.

 She finally stopped and closed her eyes for a few moments

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

"I have contacted Grimalkin. She has shown me the place where we can meet and is waiting for us."

Time skip -

The unlikely trio found the way near the suspected Kobalos territory passing a nearly empty village. Lukrasta was impressed by how quickly she found the spot Grimalkin had shown Alice. She knew a thing or two about witch stones, which is where the assassin had asked to meet, and finally, they were face to face.

Grimalkin eyed Lukrasta with mistrust.  "Well look what the cat's dragged in," she said her eyes never leaving his.

Lukrasta chuckled, "I'm here to help, keep your claws to yourself, kitty."

Her eyes narrowed in thought and finally, she said, "I have a plan."

No Rest for the Wickedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें