18 - 𝔗𝔯𝔲𝔰𝔱 𝔐𝔢

Tom, Alice, and the Spook sat around the kitchen table discussing Grimalkin's strange obsession with the Kobalos prince while James sat silently a few feet away lost in his torturous thoughts. Tom wanted to defend his friend and ally saying that she was probably gathering reconnaissance, but Alice was adamant that Grimalkin was a malevolent blood witch and would certainly be attracted to the powerful blood-thirsty mage.   

"You don't know her how I do Alice," Tom defended, "she wants to end the threat the Kobalos pose to the county.  She told me she fears they are here to wipe us out, and those few that remain will be their slaves.  Even I didn't believe her at first.  We needed to see them with our own eyes to fully understand what we are up against.  

I was in those dungeons, Alice.  Most of those creatures were created by them with dark magic and even they did not have the power to escape their control.  I'm afraid that the only reason we got away is that he wanted us to.  He got what he really wanted, Grimalkin.  There are no female Kobalos.  He is looking for a mate and she fits the bill, a beautiful one at that."

"I'm afraid he's right, Alice."  The Spook spoke up.  "We must aide her any way we can.  I'm not one to side with witches, but even I can see the prudence in this.  Upon daylight, I will head north to Caster to meet with those in charge and warn them of the threat to the north.   For now, the Fiend's head is secure and hidden from our enemies.  We must take this opportunity since the fighting has stopped to take action."

"Alright, but I think you guys are trusting her too much."  James' eyes shot to Alice.  Not wanting to hurt him she didn't voice what was on her mind.  Only time will tell who Grimalkin will side with. 

James watched from the other side of the room and asked, "What can I do?"

"Stay here in case Grimalkin comes back with news, and tell her what we've gone to do,"  the Spook said and smiled cause James was unwittingly petting the Boggart which he thought was an ordinary cat

"There must be something I can do besides that," James said.

"Make weapons, James,"  Tom said.  "We're going to need it."

Alice walked to the window with a mirror in hand.  She aimed to charge the mirror in the moonlight in order to communicate with Lukrasta.  If she were unsuccessful, she would have to go see him, and she didn't want that.  Not with the deal she had made to sleep with him if they got away safe.  Lukrasta was only biding his time.  He knew they would need him again and he would, in turn, collect what was owed to him.

  He knew they would need him again and he would, in turn, collect what was owed to him

It took a while, but Alice was successful in contacting the Mage.   She mouthed the words indicating she needed his aide.  She did not need to read his lips to understand that he wanted to meet her tonight.  Alice felt a jolt of power from the mage as their eyes met in the mirror, and her heart was filled with fear and foreboding, but there was also a strange pull of attraction.  This could be a trap set by him and the Pendle witches.  Somehow she had to convince her enemies that we were all going to die if we don't help each other.

  Somehow she had to convince her enemies that we were all going to die if we don't help each other

Lukrasta had powerful friends and those that weren't he could convince with his will alone.  He had already assured the leaders of the army that the Kobalos threat was imminent. By capturing a Haizenga Mage, he had proved to them that it was real and that they needed his help.

 Lukrasta sat patiently now just waiting for Alice to show up to his house so he could tell her what he had accomplished.  The beautiful witch would be grateful and would most definitely show her appreciation.