13 - 𝔗𝔬𝔤𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔄𝔤𝔞𝔦𝔫

Alice followed Sally dressed in the girl's clothes to blend in.  They made their way through the maze of passageways leading into the woods finding themselves in a graveyard where they had planned to meet with the carriage.  Just beyond the trees, they spotted the vehicle and ran towards it.  Old Gregory was busy releasing Tom from the chains.  The moment he was free he jumped from the carriage to catch Alice in his arms at last.  She cried as he lifted her in his arms squeezing her tight.   

"I can't believe you guys did it.  How did you know where to find me?" Tom asked.

He looked around and saw Sally's big smile.  She was also so thankful to be free she couldn't even speak from all the pent-up emotions.  Grimalkin was out of the carriage to greet him.  Tom was hugged by his old friend for the first time ever.

"Grimalkin?"  He said, not sure this beautiful queen was his ruthless friend. 

"Yes, It's me, Tom.  How are you?"

"Better now thanks to you."

"Make haste," she said to Old Gregory. "We are not clear of danger yet.  I must go find James."   

"How is he?"  Tom asked worried for his brother.

"He was fine when I left him," Grimalkin said and ran towards the mostly deserted town having discarded her queenly robes and crown.  

But Grimalkin didn't know she was being followed by the Kobalos prince.  

She ran towards the area where she had left him, slowing down to scan the scene.  When she thought it was safe, she called out to him, "James!"

James peered out of the dirty windows of an abandoned home where he had settled to wait for her.  James came out and hugged her fiercely, relief etched on his face. 

"Where is Tom?"

"We have him."  

 A great sigh of relief escaped him.  He stared into her eyes tenderly.  He had to be sure his mind wasn't playing tricks on him.  Reassured that it was his love, he pulled her close and kissed her. Although she did not want to be freed from his arms, she knew they were not safe here. 

"We must go quickly. Where are my things?"

"Come," he said gesturing for her to follow him. 

Grimalkin found the sack with her enemy's head.  "Let's go," she said.

James followed her but couldn't help asking again.  "Is he really okay?"

Grimalkin looked him in the eye to reassure him again. "Yes he's well and he asked about you."

"Will we take a ship back?"

"No, we are still in danger.  We must take a different path."

"I want to see Tom. Will you take me to him?"

Grimalkin stopped and put a finger to her lips

Grimalkin stopped and put a finger to her lips.  I halted in my tracks and listened.  I could hear a slight rustling as if the wind was moving the branches of the trees, but there was no breeze.  Grimalkin started hissing a spell.  I could feel the cold seeping into my bones or was it the fear.  I saw the sack in her hand disappear from my sight.  Grimalkin pulled out her throwing knives at the ready to attack. 

Just when I couldn't stand the suspense anymore, my heart nearly stopped when I saw something dark like a shadow pass between us.  I looked up and Grimalkin was gone.  I didn't know if she had run or if the thing had taken her.  Was it the devil himself?  

The sack had also disappeared. I looked around for her frantically but could find no sign in the darkness.  A dense fog had rolled in and when the moon peeked out behind the clouds and I could finally see I was even more terrified. I couldn't believe I had lost her.  

That's when I saw it.  A horrible creature with blood up to its elbows.  Was that her blood?  I cried out for her in anguish.  If she was dead, then I wanted to join her.  The creature turned and looked at me but must have had its fill of blood cause it left me alone.  The thing just disappeared into the fog.  I stood there waiting to die but I was spared.

After a while when I could hear nothing but the critters of the forest, I started walking again

After a while when I could hear nothing but the critters of the forest, I started walking again.  Determined to make it back to Tom and hopefully, that's where I would meet Grimalkin again.