7- 𝔖𝔲𝔯𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔞𝔩

It was a dark and dismal place where Tom was trapped.  The cold and dampness penetrated his bones making the pain in his body even worse.  He had to use every ounce of his ingenuity, cleverness, and strength to outwit these savage beasts in the arena.  The Kobalos held captive all matter of strange evil beings from foreign lands that he would have to add to the Spook's Bestiary upon his return to Chipenden. 

In the country, Tom had gotten used to dealing with the terrible creatures of the dark, but these adversaries were no less intimidatory in the well-lit arena. They were warriors that had survived many opponents and they all fought for their lives.  How the Kobalos controlled them, he did not know. They must use some powerful magic but he wasn't sure what.  All the Kobalos had to do to him was breathe on him and he had fallen unconscious and now it was a game of survival. 

Tom was so small by comparison and still had the countenance of a boy.  He was only 17 after all and still in training under Mr. Gregory, the county Spook.  His non-threatening appearance was an advantage at times because his challenger did not perceive the danger he was facing until it was too late.  Some had already lost their lives because they had underestimated him.  He had been trained well and had inherited useful abilities from his Lamia Witch mother, including the ability to slow time.   

He was also the seventh son of a seventh son and was able to perceive a dark threat before they even moved, he knew where they were going to strike.  His perceived naivete worked in his favor on many occasions.  They saw a kitten but he was actually a lion ready for attack.  All he had to do is survive until his friends come help.

With a deadly gleam in his eyes, the Kobalos prince pushed me into the dank cell

With a deadly gleam in his eyes, the Kobalos prince pushed me into the dank cell.  He gave the command for his minions to chain me to the wall.  

They laughed in my face saying, "this weakling won't last a second in the pit!"

The one they call Kookah glared at me.  He thought me so beneath him that he didn't even say a word not that I expected any kindness from him.  He bore the semblance of a young man but the cold heart of a hardened warrior shouting orders over the din of the creatures trapped there.  I guessed he was in charge of the place and who would fight who.  They left me there taking the only light with them.

The darkness enveloped me but the worst was the fearful spirits still trapped there begging me for help.  They would not let me rest.  In their torment, they did not realize I was also trapped.  My head was throbbing from the lack of food when I became aware of movement outside the room.  I could not sense a threat and tried to relax my beating heart.  

The door opened and a young woman, small and thin, came in holding a bowl of porridge.  In her tattered clothes, she approached me tentatively.  By the light of the candle, she could see that my hands were tied behind my back and slowly got closer.  I tried to speak but due to the dryness of my throat, it sounded more like a croak.  

"Water," I said. 

She kindly wiped my face clean with a moistened cloth and then gave me a drink from a bottle she hung on her belt.  "What's your name?" she asked.

"Tom," I said gazing at the bowl of food.  She started to feed me and I opened my mouth again eager for more.  It actually tasted quite good.  

"Slow down!  I'm guessing you like what I prepared.  I'm Sally."

"Thank you, Sally.  Are you a prisoner?"

"No, I'm a slave.  The Kobalos killed my family but kept me alive to do their bidding. They don't drink my blood because I make myself useful.  But if they get hungry enough, they do take a sip," she said pointing to the scars on her neck.

I stared at her and listened.  I could tell she was trying very hard to be brave and this kindness to me could cost her her life. I sensed we had something in common intriguing me further.  My eyes reached out to her with kindness but she started to cry.  I knew she felt powerless to help me but she was wrong.  

"My friends are coming to help me.  If I am able to get out, I will take you with us."

She looked at me in surprise but I could tell she thought it was hopeless.  She smiled kindly to me as if she did not want me to lose my last hope.

"If you spot them, please don't tell anyone but lead them to me.  Be on your guard and prepare to be free."