8 - 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥'𝔰 𝔗𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔰𝔪𝔞𝔫

The time came quickly enough to disembark from the ship. James was anxious to start moving again. The adrenaline pumping through his veins masking the fear. They had pulled it off. Nobody suspected that Grimalkin was a witch or that they carried the Fiend's head. Other than her beauty, nobody looked at either of them with suspicion.   They headed out of town still dressed as farming folk.  Grimalkin carried the leather sack with the Fiend's head as James followed along with the rest of their things.  To others, they would look like refugees fleeing the war.  After a while, they stopped to rest and take a drink from a well.  James took that opportunity to ask her something that he had been wondering since the morning.

"Where did you go while I was sleeping?" James asked.

"There was something I had to do before we left."

"Oh?"

Grimalkin pulled the pendant from her pocket.  "I made this for you.  It will protect you.  Please don't take it off," she said meeting his eyes momentarily. "That's what I was doing."

James put his hand around the pendant staring at it. "Isn't it the same one you gave Tom?"

"Yes, and my baby before him. It should keep you hidden from those who mean to harm you. It has a protection spell."

He said, "thank you," as he searched her face. "You said this pendant meant a lot to you. Why are you giving it to me? You should use it to protect yourself."  He hoped this meant that she cared for him.

"I want you to have it." 

Grimalkin stayed quiet for a while. She did not want to tell him that she loved him. That knowledge would not help when the time came for them to part ways. 

"You have treated me with kindness and have helped me. I may need you again someday and I hope to count on you as a friend."

"I want to be more than your friend," he said earnestly. 

His words made her tingle with a strange feeling she had never felt.

"James, I want you to stay here where you will be safe. I need you to do something very important.  Will you?"

He loved it when she said his name.  He would do anything for her. "Anything you need."

"I want you to watch the Fiend's head while I go ahead and scout the area where the Kobalos are. It's a very dangerous job. You must stay hidden."

"I understand," he stated resolved to do his best. 

They continued to walk through the mostly deserted town.  Grimalkin suspected the Kobalos had taken or killed many townsfolk and the rest had run for their lives.

"Find a comfortable spot and wait for me.  I will come back through here to get you.  If I don't return in 3 days, go back to Chipenden and bury the head in the Spooks garden.  Will you do that?"

"Yes, but please come back."

She smiled at him. "Okay."

She took some coins from her pocket and handed them to him.  Go buy some food while I get ready. She started to turn away to leave but he reached out and held her arm.  She could see the scared look on his face. 

"Grimalkin, please come back to me.  I love you."

She didn't want to lead him on but she couldn't help herself.  She rushed into his arms and kissed him fiercely.  In the short time that she'd known him, he was becoming her weakness.  She couldn't let this happen.  She did not mention she cared for him but he felt it.  She pulled away and started to undress.  Before she removed her underclothes she told him to go.  But he didn't want to go, he just wanted to hold her in his arms again. 

While James was away, Grimalkin prepared herself to transform.  By the time he was back, she would now be a cat.  This would ensure her safety while she looked for Tom.  She had already sent Alice a message using a mirror.  She would be here soon.  Grimalkin had shown her the place they would meet.  Only then would they discuss their plan.