3 - 𝔗𝔥𝔢 ℜ𝔬𝔞𝔡 𝔄𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔡

We made good time after crossing the perilous bridge and were almost on the outskirts of Caster considering we were on foot

We made good time after crossing the perilous bridge and were almost on the outskirts of Caster considering we were on foot.  Traveling cross-country through fields by night had kept us away from the occupying soldiers.  In Caster, it would be another story.  When we stopped to drink some water from a spring, I asked Grimalkin how we would get into the port town without being seen.  We couldn't let our enemies know that we were coming for Tom.

"We have to blend in.  See that clothesline over there?"  She pointed to a farmhouse we were passing.  "We will take a few clothes."

"Oh, I see. Good idea," I said.

"We have to book passage on a ship and pass off as a farmer and his wife.  But first, we need to get the green out of your hair.  You look more like a woodland elf than a country farmer.  Otherwise, I see you wearing that scarecrow's hat," she said pointing at the field. 

James wasn't too happy about that as evidenced by the pout on his face.

"Are you hungry, boy?"  Grimalkin asked.

I nodded feeling my stomach growl in protest.

"Go get that pie in the window.  I'll get the clothes.  Meet me at that patch of trees over there."

I ran quickly to the pie and thought, 'how had she noticed it from so far away?'

Once the pie was in my possession, I ran directly towards the safety of the trees.  Grimalkin was already back.  "Come," she said.

We stopped by a pond hidden under a dark canopy of trees and made quick work of the pie.  I never tasted anything so good.  I was licking the pan clean when I noticed Grimalkin taking off her weapons and then soon after her clothes.  

She walked a little way into the foggy pond and then threw herself into the water disappearing from sight.  I dropped the pan and followed her discarding my clothes as I went.  I was naked as the day I was born when Grimalkin's head popped out of the water the moonlight glistening on her skin.  She smiled at me and gestured for me to come closer.  

"Put your head underwater.  Let's see if the green comes off."  

After much scrubbing by both of us, we finally managed to get some of the green out.  It felt good to feel clean again.  At least I wouldn't need the scarecrow's funny hat.