CHAPTER TWO

MARY LAKE

After waving goodbye to Mr Caleb, I walked as carefully as I could to the school gate trying not to fall on my face and cause a scene.

Montana High was one of the best schools in town; the teachers were diligent unlike the sea of students who loved gossiping than learning. It was known for birthing future leaders, and so became every parent's dream for their children.

I stood at the gate for a few minutes trying to catch my breath before I walked inside. A daily therapy I do but never seem to calm me down.

"Guess what? Mary guess," Rose my best friend shouted as she jumped up and down like a baby who just got a toy. She loved shouting especially when she was excited about something, of which she always required me to take a guess, something I failed at getting right.

"Humm--mm," I pretended to think while she held my hand and nodded; her way of encouraging me to continue.

"Y-you a-are p-pregnant?" It sounded like a question even to my own ears, I mean why would she be excited if she was pregnant? But when she didn't smile and stopped shaking her head to confirm that I was wrong, I got confused and easily believed my own guess.

"Y--you a-are p-pregnant!" I stated as-a-matter-of-factly. I felt dizzy. How would she take care of the child? Her parents were not rich.

"Oh my G--God, you a--are ha-v-ing a baby. How w-will you take care of it? You have to st-o-op being the chee-erleader ......" It was her laughter that stopped me from rambling.

"This is so funny. You just made my day Mary, you should have seen your face" she stated, laughing again.

"I--id-iot," I said laughing with her. I don't know what I would have done if she was really pregnant, but I know I would have protected her.

"Well, well what makes the freak laugh today?" I stiffened at the voice. I had thought I wouldn't have to see him until class ended but I wasn't so lucky. When have I ever got lucky?

"At least she can laugh and not like you who find it difficult to smile with such bitter heart as yours", Rose said, frowning at him. If not for her, I would have had no one to call my friend. I couldn't defend myself when I tried to; I always had trouble talking and I couldn't run off too so as not to fall and embarrass myself the more.

"L-let's g-go Rose," I said.

"Coward, always needing someone to talk for you, do you need a notepad?" Spencer asked while putting on a face which showed mocked pity. I tried not to cry as I bit my lips hard. He had been like this since I was a kid but it got worse when I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia three years ago.

"G--go to h--ell," I said but I didn't dare look up. I was staring at my white shoes as if they were the most interesting thing in the world.

"Rose, did you hear 'ggotohell'? What's that? Do you now bark like the pig you are?" He asked, feigning innocent.

"Didn't know you are as dumb as you look; pigs don't bark. Fool" Rose said as she dragged me to class.

I didn't say a word as she led the way. If not for her, maybe I would have given up long ago. I didn't know why she decided to be my friend then; why she decided to stay with me when a girl I called my best friend left me. Why she decided to stay and stand up for me when I myself had given up.

I never know why.

👭👭👭👭👭👭👭👭👭👭👭👭

Hi, how do you see this chapter? Thanks for your votes and comments.
They mean a lot.💚💙💚💝