Chapter 24

I refused to make eye contact but could sense his burdening shadow next to the cold and lightly fogged window. Never formally acknowledging my presence, the Microbiology instructor casually walked to the trunk of his car to retrieve what appeared to be his bag and some additional teaching materials. In the same cool manner, he checked the time on his watch, then nonchalantly made his way towards the entrance of the building.

"F**K!!! Do you think he saw anything?" I cried out, fully embarrassed.

"I have no idea. He sure as hell didn't act like it!"

"I'm not going to class, F**K THAT!" I said looking around angrily. "I mean of all these open spaces in the goddamn parking lot, why would he choose to park next to somebody?"

"Then what are you gonna do instead, babe?" Jeremy stated. I looked at him as if the question was shortsighted and senseless.

"WHO CARES!" I shouted. "Why are you asking me dumb questions? I just need to get out of here!"

"Think about it, Shi! If you skip out on class today, you'll still have to face him tomorrow. So, what are you gonna do?" Jeremy stated, having no compassion for my meltdown.

"Okaaaaaayyyy, so what are you trying to say, Jeremy? Make it make sense!"

"I don't want to talk about this right now, because you're getting upset at me over some lil' s**t."

A heightened level of anger began to pulse through my body.

"MY PROFESSOR JUST CAUGHT ME GIVING HEAD IN THE BACKSEAT OF A CAR LIKE SOME WHORISH PROSTITUTE, AND YOU'RE ACTING LIKE IT'S NO BIG DEAL! ARE YOU SLOW?" I barked.

"IF THE TEACHER ISN'T TRIPPIN' THEN YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER! HE'S PROBABLY GOTTEN HIS D**K SUCKED BEFORE, SO HE KNOWS WHAT'S UP! WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT ME TO SAY? YOU WANTED TO COME BACK HERE, SO BE MAD AT YOUR DAMN SELF!"

I desired nothing more than to slap the s**t out of this stranger sitting before me. The man I fell in love with would NEVER speak to me this way. With tears beginning to form, not another word was spoken. I gathered my things and walked the same path toward the school as my instructor. There was still ten minutes left before class officially started, so I headed toward the bathroom to gather my thoughts.

Not wanting anyone familiar to see my red tear-filled eyes, I entered a smaller bathroom in an area less frequented. After dropping my belongings and retrieving some tissue from an empty stall, I blew my nose then moved over to the sink. Splashing cold water on my face a few times surely would help to calm my nerves a bit, I thought. Suddenly, the sound of my phone ringing put a halt to my actions, but with water falling into my eyes, I couldn't tell who was calling. It really didn't matter anyway though, because I didn't care to speak to anyone at the moment. 

Successfully feeling around for some paper towels, I looked myself in the mirror and decided to recite a few words of positive affirmations.

"You are an amazing woman, mother, and friend," I began. "You deserve happiness. You deserve respect. You can do.." My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a text message coming through. 

A voice inside told me not to look, but I continued to go against my better judgment. Sadly, it was none other than my stupid a** boyfriend, Jeremy.

"Babe, why did you make me yell at you like that!?! I don't want us to ever argue again. I love you with every part of me and always will, that's why I can't wait to marry you one day. Anyway, I'm stopping by my job for a few hours, but I'll see you at 3 pm. If you get out of class early then call me and I'll come to swoop you up," He wrote.

"Typical him to reverse it all on me," I thought, rolling my eyes. Everything is always my fault, I guess."

At this point, the only thing that could calm my frazzled nerves was a stiff drink, and there was no immediate access to that. After looking at the time on my phone, I realized class was about to start without me—this was the last thing I needed! Some classes students could get away with being late, but Microbiology was not the one.

Of all my previous professors, Dr. Andemewobu, was assuredly the most cutthroat of them all. He was small in stature, up in age, and fairly new to the United States, after having established residency here only three years ago. I particularly hated attending his course, because I could hardly understand any of his teachings. His Liberian accent was way too thick. It took every ounce of focus to gain a basic understanding, and even then students would turn to one another to ask, "what did he just say?"

Upon approaching the classroom, I saw that the instruction period had already begun, so I tiptoed to the nearest open seat containing a microscope.

"How amazing is it that a student can get to school on time, but is still late for class! Incredible! So nice of you to finally join us, Ms. Rudolph," Dr. A, announced loud and obnoxiously.

Go figure, I can't understand him any other time but certainly heard THAT with booming clarity. Everyone turned to look at me and giggle, which caused me even further embarrassment, as I tiptoed to my seat. The professor's lesson plan was immediately drowned out by the resounding thoughts seizing my full concentration.

"How did even know my name?" I pondered, "Classes just started, and It's not like I talk often in here sooooo...Yeah, he DEFINITELY must've seen me in the back of that car...but, if he saw me, then why not just say something!?! This all too much!"

Leaving everything except my phone in the classroom, I got up and ran out. Completely sickened by everything, I found the nearest garbage can and purged up my entire breakfast. It made me feel better, for the moment until I looked up and saw Spencer, 20 feet away walking toward me...