06.11 - Rivera Lukas

Once everything was back in order, Maxie proceed toward the elevator lobby. Just before she lifted the headphones back onto her head, a familiar voice called out to her.

"Ms. Luther"

                Maxie had long taken notice of several major characters watching her while she dealt with the ex-executive and his wife. Smirking inside, she knew some of them had advocated the problem and hoped to escalate the situation to cause her trouble. Then there are others who watched it happened like some sort of drama show. Maxie hadn't care who was her allies or her enemies. She had let them all see that she wasn't someone who they could bully.

"Mr. Rivera" Maxie replied with a casual tone.

                To the right of Alan Rivera stood Cain Jager and his second son. Standing silently to the left of the handsome old man, was his handsome young 16 years old Lukas Rivera. Maxie did not bother to acknowledge anyone but Alan Rivera since he had been the one who called out her name.

"So early Saturday morning and already you have to deal with trouble"

                Alan Rivera's words let Maxie know that her action was clearly observed.

"Comes with the job" Maxie gave a slow, indifferent smile.

"Have you eaten?" The man suddenly asked with his usual incomprehensible smiles.

"I have" Maxie lied without blinking.

                The group of experienced and skilled businessmen had that natural instinct of when they're being lied to. It was as if they could sense the smiling mask Maxie wore to hide her true feelings. It had impressed them because it proved Maxie Luther was a good business woman herself.

"What a shame" Alan Rivera chuckled softly. "I had hope you'll join me for breakfast"

                That was why Maxie lied. She did not want to sit through a boring meal with the group of boring men. Maintaining her casual smiles, Maxie glanced over at Ms. Holt who understood to press the elevator button.

"Yes, such a shame. You enjoy your meal then Mr. Rivera" Maxie nonchalantly turned.

"Where are your manners?" A cold voice made Maxie smile, but she did not turned to Cain Jager as the old man suddenly spoke.

                Maxie continued to look at the elevator call button, waiting for it to light up.

"Maxie Luther" The 2nd son spoke coldly. "Your grandfather is speaking to you"

"Um?" Maxie turned with a surprised expression. "Oh, Mr. Jager, 2nd uncle, I didn't realize you were there"

                If looks could kill, Maxie would have died. Instead, she continued to show her innocent and surprised expression.

"Is that the kind of attitude the CEO shows to the company's owner?" The 2nd son scolded - his voice cold but calm.

"2nd uncle, I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning to your words." Maxie asked - her expression still held innocence. "What attitude am I showing?"

"Insolent" The 2nd son bit out.

"What?" Maxie gasped while mocking a hand to her chest. "Who?"

                While the 2nd son was controlling his seething anger, Alan Rivera's chuckles brought Maxie's attention to him.

"Ms. Luther, while I admire your courage, it's not good for you to act out too directly against your elders" Alan Rivera voice was surprisingly gentle. "Take a step back"

"Thank you for your advice Mr. Rivera" Maxie no longer cared to put an innocent expression while her dark, clear eyes held no emotion. "I've already gone this far. Taking a step back is pointless"

                When the elevator door opened, Maxie turned and stepped inside with her two secretaries. The men were speechless at the disappearing sight of the young CEO setting back the wireless headphones on her head.

"Your granddaughter is fearless" Alan Rivera's soft chuckle and words revealed his high regard toward Maxie Luther. "Old friend, it's unfortunate that she does not care to acknowledge her grandfather"

                Alan Rivera is one of the few people in the world who could get away with teasing Cain Jager. Seeing the quiet scowl on the old man's face Alan Rivera chuckled more.

"You've made a mistake to overlook this capable granddaughter of yours. It's natural for her to feel some resentment"

                Again, Cain Jager frowned. Noticing the troubled expression on his father face, the 2nd son hid his fists in his suit pants pocket. When another elevator cab opened up, Cain Jager and his 2nd son stepped inside without another word. Alan Rivera watched with amusement as his old friend appeared as if he was sulking. Letting out a soft laugh, Alan Rivera turned to leave when he noticed the silent bitter expression on his grandson's face. Alan Rivera took great pride in his calm and composed grandson Lukas Rivera. Out of all his children and grandchildren, Lukas Rivera showed a profound mind and temperament. Recently, Alan Rivera announced that Lukas Rivera was his heir and frequently took the young man to business meetings and deals. He had wanted his grandson to meet and see different types of people in the harsh business world to prepare the young man in the future.

"Are you displeased that Maxie Luther did not acknowledge you?"

                Alan Rivera was an intelligent man so had long sense why his grandson was discontented. From the beginning to end, Maxie Luther did not once look at Lukas Rivera. It had been the first time the young man was completely dismissed by anyone. As a Rivera, the young man was used to many people deferring to him - even Cain Jager and his sons all acknowledge his presence whenever he's around. But Maxie had utterly disregarded his existence and spoke to the other men like he was invisible. Knowing it was done intentionally; Lukas Rivera couldn't help but find it all very bitter.

"You're still young Lukas... In time, you'll stand on the same ground as her. When the times come, she'll be force to acknowledge you"Alan Rivera chuckled softly. "Let's go"

                Lukas Rivera resentfully understood his grandfather's word. Because he was 16 years old, there was limitation to what he could do. Because of his age, no one would take him seriously.Even with his family name, Lukas Rivera knew that Maxie Luther was not the type to defer or be intimidated by social status. If anything, it's clear to him that Maxie could care less about social status. As he silently followed beside his grandfather, Lukas Rivera's expression held determination to conquer.

                Meanwhile, watching from afar was Alison Lee Jager and Blaze Jager. The entire scene that unfolded before Blaze stirred his heart and mind. He had underestimated the complexity of the business world along with the Jager's family internal power struggle. Seeing his cousin handled the ex-executive and his wife had been remarkable - seeing Maxie's cold indifference toward their grandfather and 2nd uncle was even more shocking. Blaze tried to take in everything he saw and try to understand what was in Maxie's mind as she handled everything that was thrown at her in a mere hour of her day.

"What would you have done if you were in Maxie's position?" Alison Lee silently set the empty cup of cappuccino down while she turned to face her dumbfound grandson. "Could you handle being insulted and ridicules daily by those greedy executives? In front of powerful figures, would you be able to dismiss them? Being questioned by your grandfather or uncles, would you be able to answer fearlessly?"

                No - the word immediately entered Blaze's adolescent mind.A rush of shame entered his entire being as he realized how foolish he had been when he tried to intimidate Maxie Luther a few days ago. Just like the bald man and his wife, Blaze had tried to insult and ridicule Maxie - believing she had been the villain.

"Blaze..." Alison Lee said gently, seeing the bitter expression on her young grandson's face. "If I'm ever gone... Maxie is the only family you will have left. Please remember that"

                Blaze was still lost in thoughts to fully comprehend the importance of his grandmother's advice. In a few months, just after he turned 17 years old, Blaze Jager will understand the true meaning behind Alison Lee's words.