08.3 - Nox Maxwell

Mavi let her older brother handle the situation with the Nubes' leader and elder tribe members. Since she was only a "child", Mavi knew it was best to remain aloof and ignorant to the power she hold. Plus, she was confident her dependable older brother was smart enough to know what to say. Sure enough, Zeki Gutia did not disappoint her. The upright young man - for the first time, spoke half-truth of the situation in order to protect his younger sister. While he falsified the true extend of the power the bracelet hold,  he truthfully explained that the bracelets were tied to Mavi's own life force. Only then did the Nubes' leader and elders understood the harm for Mavi if she used the remaining four bracelets. At the same time, the Nubes' leader and elders were secretly elated that the little girl hold enormous power to protect their tribe.

                The seemingly "understanding" adults ensured Zeki that no one would harm Mavi. But the elation in their eyes betrayed them. Zeki Gutia feint ignorance and smile quietly at Mavi. Although Mavi did not show any feelings on her face, she recognized Zeki's uneasy state of mind when the young man gripped on her little hand tight. She also knew exactly what the Nubes' leader and elders had in mind about her. For the whole tribe safety, Mavi understood that one day, these very same adults would not hesitate to push her into the pit of fire in order to save everyone else in the tribe.

                The soul within Mavi was all too similar with such ploy. She speculated that from that moment on, the Nubes' leader and elders will treat her brother and her with the upmost kindness and respect. Then when the times come for her to sacrifice for the greater good, there will be no guilt on their end. There was no such thing as selfless kindness. There was always a trade-off. And Mavi knew what they wanted to trade with her. But until then, she will take complete advantage of their "kindness" and "respect". If they were to use her in the future, she might as well shamelessly use them now.

"Mavi..." Zeki walked Mavi back to their little home at the edge of the mountain. "From now on, promise me you will not use these bracelets."

                Mavi remained silent.

"Mavi." Zeki stopped walking and turned to face his little sister. "Promise me."

"Brother, why make me promise something I can't keep?"

                The little girl's voice was innocent, yet her words were profound - startling the sixteen-year old young man.

"Mavi..." Zeki cupped his little sister's cheek and said softly. "Then promise your brother you will treasure your life above all things..."

"Um, I promise."

                Zeki was relieved and hugged his little sister. If only the young man knew that it was unnecessary to make the little Mavi make such promises. From the very start, the soul within Mavi was the type to treasure herself among all things.