06.5 - Rivera Lukas

It did not surprised Maxie when she was bombarded with work as soon as she stepped foot inside Jager Corp. Upon entrance of the enormous office, she spotted the tall stack of black files piled neatly on the large red oak wood desk. Smiling quietly, she sat down in the leather chair and was immediately "instructed" by the head secretary her "duties" as the CEO. After the head secretary listed out Maxie's responsibilities, he left the office like he was the boss and she was the employee. Alone, Maxie leaned back on her chair, set her crossed legs on top of the wood desk, and pulled out her cell phone to play solitaire cards.

                Each day repeats with more and more files brought into the CEO's office to be reviewed. Maxie let the head secretary and his assistants come in to pile new files until the entire desk was filled with black binders and folders. Still, Maxie made no move to look up from her solitaire game on her phone. Ignoring the head secretary as he speaks, Maxie made a noncommittal sound before dismissing him with a casual wave. Seeing her lazy and childish attitude, the head secretary left with a sneer on his face.

                Maxie, of course, understood the current situation. She was being played with by people who did not want her in the CEO position. Even toward a business veteran, he or she would is given time to adjust to the chief position. But for a greenhorn like Maxie Luther, she was pushed into a situation where they want her to fail. "They" believed that Maxie would run off and cry. Instead, Maxie was amused. For the soul inside Maxie Luther, these types of games were her specialties. Like a fox, Maxie continued to let her enemies circle around her while waiting for them to attack.

                Two months later, her enemies attacked as predicted. At the end of every 2 months, the board members, executives, CEO, and Owner would meet to review the company's progress. At the long rectangular table, Maxie sat in the large CEO chair directly across the Owner's chair. Sitting comfortably in the large leather chair with her legs crossed and arms folded across her chest, Maxie kept her expression empty while looking at Cain Jager. All around them were executives and board members complaining about Maxie Luther for not fulfilling her responsibilities as CEO.They blamed the recent drop in stocks and revenue on Maxie's incompetent management. Meanwhile, Alison Lee Jager listened with silent anger at all the complaints.

"Maxie is still learning the ins and outs of the company" Alison Lee defended.

"Learning? This isn't a place for a child to learn."The 4th wife smirked at Alison Lee.

"It's clear that she is not suited for the CEO position." The 3rd son sneered.

"Yes, we all have voted and decided to remove her from the position" A board member spoke out.

                Just before Alison Lee explodes at the 4th wife, Maxie's laughter startled everyone.

"You want to remove me from the position? The last I check, I still hold 33% of the Jager Corp. Or have you all forgotten?"

"This is not some game for a little girl like her to play" The 4th wife glared at Maxie.

"4th Grandmother" Maxie turned to the 40 years old woman with a patronizing smile. "Considering you only have 1 measly percent, its best if you keep your opinions to yourself. Talking out of bound will make others laugh at you"

"You little_"

"Back to the root of the problem" Maxie ignored the woman and turned to everyone else. "While you all sit there and complain, I should be the one to complain"

"What right do you have to complain?"

"Really now uncle"Maxie laughed softly. "You would complain to if you were given horrible contracts to review all day"

"What?"

"Seriously, my head just aches having to read all those terrible proposals and contracts all day long" Maxie mocked tired sigh. "Here I thought Jager Corp.'s executives are some of the world's best businessmen... very disappointing"

                Everyone looked at the young woman who was shamelessly lying without blinking. They all knew the woman did not open one single file and yet she sit there and dare to say she reviewed files all day long. And she said it while insulting all of Jager Corp.'s executives?

"You little liar!" The 4th wife was the first to call Maxie out on her lie. "You did not review them at all"

"4th Grandmother, I'm hurt by your accusation."

"Everyone here knows you did not review a single file."

"Is there proof that I didn't review them?"

"You_ you have guts to lie?"

"Again, do you have proof that I'm lying?" Maxie gave an amused laugh.

"You failed to do your job properly and now_"

"4th Grandmother, what exactly is my job?" Maxie looked at the 4th wife with a sly smile. "Why don't you enlighten everyone here?"

"Everyone here knows!"

"Oh?" Maxie continued to play with the 4th wife. "Then they should agree that I did my job properly"

"You claimed to do the job properly yet none of the files were returned back signed!"

"Now why would I sign rejected proposals and contracts?" Again, Maxie laughed.

"You dare to reject them all?"

"Did I not already reject them all?" Maxie smiled playfully while her eyes scanned the dumbfound group of older men and women. "When the CEO does not return a file signed, is it not implied that the proposal or contract is rejected?"

                Everyone was speechless. For the past two months, they all know the young woman did not review a single file. Now, she fought back by saying she rejected them all?

"How could you reject them all?" The 4th wife was losing her wits with Maxie's nonchalant attitude.

"According to my CEO position, I believe I can." Maxie purposely spoke with a childish tone.

"You_"

"Of course, you can overturn my rejection, but according to the corporate rules here at Jager Corp., in order to overturn the CEO rejected proposal and contracts, there has to be enough votes from the members of the board to overturn the CEO decision" Maxie gave a sharp, evil smile. "But don't forget about my 33% shares... If you want to overturn my decision, you have to get 34% or the rejection stands"

                Again, everyone was speechless. Most of them had neglect the fact that Maxie Luther still has 33% shares backing her. Never before have had the group of hardcore board members and executives faced such an outrageous CEO.

"Father, you can't just sit there and let her fool around with us like_"

"Uncle" Maxie scolded the older man like he was a child instead of her elder. "Do you always run to your daddy when you don't get your way? It's quite unsightly"

                Several muffle sounds of laughter were heard causing the man to turn bright red.

"But you do have one point uncle, Mr. Jager here does have the final say since he hold 45% shares" Maxie then sat up and leaned forward to press on the intercom in front of her. "Bring in the files"

                Minutes later, ten employees entered - each carrying a large pile of files in their hands. After Maxie motioned them to set all the files in the center of the table, she sat back disinterestedly.

"Here are the rejected files done so horribly by these executives. If you feel I did not do a thorough review, by all means Mr. Jager, you are more than welcome to them. I will not complain if you overturn any of my decision"

                Everyone looked wryly at Maxie with disbelief. The CEO was responsible to weed out contracts and proposals, and then pick a few to discuss with the Owner and board members. Instead, Maxie rejected all the contracts, blaming the executives for doing a poor job, and then pushed the files on to Cain Jager for him to do the work. The young woman actually pushed her duties to the Owner?