02.19 - Endou Kai

Sure enough, the 12 year-old Noah Walters was brought into the conference room and sat in the same seat he once sat. Unlike before where a scared, confused boy sat, Noah's eyes held no confusion or fear. Calmly, Noah looked at his father and his father's wife, before he turned to his mother and her husband.

"Mom, what's going on?" Noah asked his mother.

Instead of answering, Mia smiles softly, using her eyes and a slight lift of her head to tell the boy to ask his father. Understanding his mother's gesture, Noah look at his father and frowned - clearly waiting for the man to speak. Mark Walters - regrettably, even in the original story did not know how to deal with his son. The man treated the boy like he would everyone else - like an adult. Without thinking about his son's feelings, Mark Walters went straight to the point. Like before, he used the same line - the same reason for Noah to choose him instead of his mother. What Mark Walters did not know is unlike the scared little boy from before; Noah's temper was like a tiger - calm and indifferent until someone provokes him. The one thing Noah could never tolerate was anyone insulting his mother and Mark Walters did just that, after years without seeing his son.

"Shut up" Noah voice was deeper from before - although still immature, his posture was straight and tall. "Don't talk about my mom that way"

Mark Walters was speechless at the sight of his son's glare. Olivia Mills - on the other hand, had felt complex toward Mia Clark from the beginning. The once vulgar and jealous woman Olivia Mills remembered was nowhere in sight. Instead, before her was a confident, cunning woman. In the past, Mia Clark had paled in comparison to Olivia Mills in every way from background, looks, brains, and personality. Now, Mia Clark was shining brighter while Olivia Mills was fading in the background. For a person who was use to the limelight - use to women envying her and men falling for her, it felt wrong to be suddenly invisible. Moreover, Mia Clark has a husband who dotes on her in every way and a protective son who respects and loves her. It felt wrong. Olivia Mills instinctively felt that she was the one who was supposed to have a doting husband and protective, loving son. But ever since her baby died, her husband prioritizes his own son over her. Right now, it was more important for Mark Walters to get Noah back instead of paying attention to his young, vulnerable wife who just lost her own son.

"Noah, son" Mark Walters sighed heavily. "I'm only thinking what's best for you son. Just think, your mother now has her own family. When she has a child with her husband, would she still love you? And her stepfather, would he care for you over his own child?"

Seeing Noah's darkened expression, Mark Walters figured he finally reached some sense into the young boy.

"Come with me Noah. Olivia will be a good mother for you. I promise"

"You promise?" Noah asked without emotion.

"I promise" Mark Walters smiled like he won the lottery.

"You'll be a good mother?" Noah suddenly looks at Olivia Mills, startling her.

It took Mark Walters to nudge at her to snap her out of her thoughts.

"Y_ yes... I'll be a good mother for you Noah" Olivia Mills spoke gently with a kind smile.

"You'll take me to school every day and pick me up afterward?"

Something like taking a child to school and picking him up afterward should have been an easy task, but for a career-driven woman like Olivia Mills, the task was a bit hard to swallow.

"Of_ of course, I'll take you to school every day and pick you up afterward"

"If I get into fights in school, you'll protect me from the principal?"