Payback

Scott and I stood just outside our last class, waiting for Allison to give us the go ahead. Scott's phone dinged, and up popped a picture of Isaac on Aiden's motorcycle outside. I smiled looking down at the phone.

The final bell rang, and we walked into class. Ethan and Aiden were sitting across from one another. Scott took a seat next to Ethan, and I sat in front of Scott.

"Okay, everyone." Mrs. Blake said, walking in. "I know this is the last class of the day, and to be honest, I want to get out of here too."

I turned around in my seat, Scott was grinning at twins. They just looked at him in confusion. They looked back to the front, till Scott pulled out a large gear, spinning it in his hand.

"That looks kind of important." Scott said setting it on the desk. I smiled, pulling out some metal contraption with several wires sticking out.

"I have- no idea what this thing does." I smirked. We heard a loud motorcycle engine from down the hall. And Aiden ran out of the classroom.

"Wait, Aiden, don't!" Ethan shouted after him, but he didn't listen.

We followed him at a slower pace with the rest of the confused class. Out in the hallway, several students and teachers were emerging from the classrooms. Isaac walked over to us, Aiden now holding onto his bike by himself.

"You have got to be kidding me." Mrs. Blake said angrily. "You realize this is gonna result in a suspension."

I laughed, fist bumping Isaac as he joined us. Sweet revenge.

"Hey, where were you during lunch?" Evan asked as we walked down the hallway.

"Library, studying." I lied.

"I was gonna ask, what do you think happened to that guy, out in the woods this morning?" He questioned.

"I... don't know." I shrugged. "They'll catch whoever did it."

"Yeah, I know, it's just weird, is all." Evan muttered.

"Kara!" Isaac's voice called me, I turned around, him and Scott walking up to us. "Could you give me a ride back to Derek's?"

"Sure." I nod, I glance over to Scott. "Did you need a ride, too or-"

"Oh, no. I uh, got my bike." Scott says awkwardly. We started walking again, out towards the parking lot. Scott had just given me a weird look.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing, I'm just... glad, that you're talking to me." Scott admitted.

"Yeah, I am..." I said, a bit surprised myself.

"So, are we... friends?" He asked hesitantly.

"I'm.... I'm trying." I told him honestly. "I just need a little more time."

"Yeah- of course." Scott nodded.

I stopped walking, noticing Ethan and Aiden standing between us and the exit doors at the end of the hall. No, not here, not now. Scott and Isaac stopped, eyeing the twins. They looked pissed.

"What?" Evan asked, confused.

"Evan... get behind me." I said carefully.

Ethan and Aiden took off their shirts. One of them crouched on the ground, while the other slammed his fist into his back, slowing starting to mold onto one body.

"What the hell...." Evan said backing up a foot. The morphed twins look up, roaring at us.

"We can take them." Isaac says rolling up his sleeves.

"Are you kidding?" Scott says pulling him back.

"Run!" I shouted.

They're way faster than us, grabbing the back of Scott's and Isaac's necks in seconds, pulling them up and throwing them down the hall.

"Scott!" I cried. I let myself transform, and I turned back to Evan sharply. "Run!"

I looked forward, roaring at the twins. They growl back, then suddenly stop. They let out a small groan as they separate. Why weren't they attacking?

I looked behind me, a man with a walking stick walking right past Evan and I. That's the man from the hospital... the one who knew my name.

The man lifts up his stick, taking off the red cap at the end. Underneath was a sharp point. He brought his arm up, swinging the cane, and cutting both the twins across the cheek. They flinched, but didn't move away from him.

He puts the cap back on, saying nothing. Then walks back down the hall, the twins following him.

"Who the hell is that?" Isaac asks.

"Deucalion...." Scott says.

I stood up, turning back to Evan who was standing over in the corner. "Evan-"

His face had a terrified expression. Then I remembered, he saw me shift... He says nothing, and runs out the exit door. I felt a painful stab through the heart when he looked at me in fear. What have I done....