Don't Mess With A Greaser

Emily POV

I wake up and look outside the window to see that it's still dark outside. I sit up careful not to wake Steve up and look at the clock. I mentally groan at myself when five o'clock started back at me in a green neon.

I slowly get out of bed and tiptoe to the bathroom. I take a quick shower and get dressed for work. I throw my hair up into a messy bun and head to the kitchen.

I open the fridge to see the only thing in it was cake, beer , and a dozen eggs. I sigh and open a drawer and take out a piece of paper and a pencil. I creep back into my room and get the shoe box where I keep all my money. I take out about $6 dollars and stuff it in my pocket.

I walk back into the kitchen I write down what we need: bread, milk , eggs , cheese, meat, flour, sugar , butter and the list goes on. I just hope I have enough money for all the food these guys eat.

I put the list in my pocket and start making scrambled eggs. I look at the clock and it says six o'clock. If I start walking now I can make it to the store and back before it's time for work. I write a quick note and start heading out the door when the light is turned on.

I turn around and see a sleepy Dallas staring between me and the door. "Where do you think you are going E" he asks while putting on his leather jacket.

"I was just going to the store to get groceries I'm not running away" I say putting my hands up in defense. I could tell that Dallas was starting to get mad because his eyes got darker.

"You are telling me that you were about to leave without someone with you? Emily how many times do I have to remind you that it isn't safe out there for you right now! When will you understand that" says Dallas trying not to yell.

His efforts to not wake up the household was not enough because in three seconds half the gang is staring at me whilst standing in their pjs.

"What's going on Dal" says Pony who was looking around the room. " Emily was trying to leave the house by herself" says a mad Dallas.

"I was just going to get groceries I wasn't going to steal a car. If you are so bent out of shape about it just come with me damnit" I say as I walk out the door and into the dark streets.

I got a good ways from the house when I hear someone yell for me to stop. I turn around and see Pony running to catch up to me.

Once he reaches me he is completely out of breath. "Man I really need to stop smoking" he says as he tries to find his breath. I laugh a little and kept walking.

We walk all the way to the store in complete silence until Pony finally says what he has been wanting to say for the whole walk.

"Emily you almost died you know. And before you get mad at me just listen to what I have to say. Dallas is just trying to keep you safe, we all are. After what happened everyone has changed a bit. Even Two is scared to come around because he is afraid that you didn't make it and that if he came around his fears would come true".

I know Pony is right about everything but i just don't want to believe it all. I sigh and nod my head in agreement. We get to the grocery store and get everything I could think of and a few packs of cigarettes.

"Emily at least say something" says Pony looking at me with worry painted on his face.

I look at him dead in the eyes and say " Pony I know that everything you have said was right. I know I almost died. I know Two is afraid of what happened. I know that you just want to protect me but why can't I protect myself. Why do those guys target me like this. I just don't understand why this won't stop. And why they just don't leave me the hell alone."

I look up and see that we were back at the house and I frown. I walk through the door into the living room and straight into the kitchen. After putting all the food up and hiding the cigarettes, I walk back into the living room.

The room goes silent as everyone's eyes land on me. This makes me a little annoyed so I just cut to the chase. "Look I know no matter what I say or do y'all are going to fight for me and protect me. I know that I'm not as strong as you guys and I know that I almost died. But I am not going to live my life in fear. So either we all fix this together or I fix it myself".

As I look around the room all I see are sly grins and proud faces. Steve comes up to me and gives me a quick kiss and puts his arm around my waist.

"I guess it's settled then boys. The Greaser Queen has decreed for a rumble. And we know what that means" says a proud Dallas. "It means that we are going to kick some Soc ass" yells Soda.

"Man I was going to say more training but that works too" says a sarcastic Darry who playfully shoved Soda out of his way.

"I guess that means we are going to need to have a greaser gang meeting with the other gangs around the hood" says Steve who looked like he could fight someone already.

"Let me handle old Shepherd and his gang" says a grinning Dallas as he takes out his switch. Everyone laughs except Darry who announces that he will take care of the meeting.