Part 17: Kili

My eyes met hers and I smiled lightly at her. She smiled back, and the warm fuzzy feeling grew in my chest again. It didn't last longer than a minute though, as a warg was on the cliff in front of me, growling ferociously. My ming wondered to Jamie and I panicked. The pale Orc screamed something and all of his dogs ran at us. Gandalf let out a call to run, and so we did. I made sure Jamie was in view as we ran, afraid of loosing her. 

       My chest heaved as we came to the edge of a cliff. My eyes grew wide, and I turned to look a at her. Unsteady breaths wracked her core as she looked down over the edge. "Up into the trees, all of you!" Gandalf spoke hurriedly. 

    Clinging to the nearest pine, I climbed onto a steady branch before helping Fill up. My eyes skimmed the people still on the ground and one of them was her. I screamed her name to gain her attention, the fear in her eyes when she looked at me was night and day different to the warmth and love from a few minutes ago. She ran towards me, reaching her hand out to me. I reached down and tried to grab her hand. Hy heart froze, and then dropped in my chest. 

     My hand was an inch away. I couldn't reach her. I could hear one the the wargs getting closer and closer, and the panic in me grew. In one fluid movement I had swung down a branch, took her hand, pulled her up into the tree and flush against myself. With one arm around the tree and the other around her I tried to calm down, of course to no avail.

      The pale Orc approached. I chocked on the air in my lungs, and clambered farther up into the tree, placing her between me and Fi. I looked to Thorin, worry in my gaze. The wolves began jumping at the trees, scratching and pawing. Jamie's arms tightened around me as a pair of gnarling teeth came dangerously close to her booted foot. In less than a second the branch beneath us snapped, and I tightly griped the branch above us, tossing her up to grab it herself. The trees shook and fell onto one another, closer and closer to the ledge leading into abyss. 

    Realizing the state of our tree I took her by the waist and helped her to her Father on the last standing tree before joining her myself. Fire suddenly met the earth beneath us, burning and spreading at an alarming rate. Soon multiple burning pinecones were being tossed out of the tree towards the wargs, who scattered away soon after. The tree shifted as we began to cheer and clung to the earth by a single root. Jamie toppled next to me and and we shared another look, before she looked away in fear as Ori began to slip. The tree shifted more and the struggle continued. She began to yell and squirm, trying to stand up.  only understood why when I looked passed her. Uncle Thorin stood and staggered towards Azog. 

       He was taken down instantly, it felt like no one clutching to the tree was breathing. Uncle stood once more, and like the first time was thrown back into the dirt. The wolf picked him up in its mouth and threw him ten feet onto a stone terrace. He didn't move this time. Jamie yelled for him to get up, but it was like he was deaf to her screaming. I still clung to the tree, paralyzed and in shock. Her screams echoed in my mind like a nightmare on repeat. 

     Yet another Orc unsheathed a glimmering sword and made his way towards the limp, almost lifeless, dwarf. He was about to strike when Bilbo intervened. I let out the breath I had been holding for who knows how long, and focused on the battle again. Jamie's eyes welled up with tears, most likely with the realization that it was her father against multiple creatures three times his size. I blinked and she had hoisted herself up, and was sprinting down the tree trunk, katana in hand. One by one, we all followed her. Fighting to protect our king. Every warg that met her path was dead in seconds, and any bit of fear in her body was replaced with determination. 

     Suddenly her demeanor changed. She came to a stand still, and gazed at the heavy blue sky above her. Eagles the size of bears flew overhead. She turned to me, once again reaching out her hand. Without question I took it, and she ran towards the tree. Only she didn't stop. She came to the last branches and leaped. My hand was in hers, and I didn't have tome to think before I was falling through the air. I clung to her, my face against her neck and arms holding her waist. Wind rushed passed us blowing her red hair in every direction around us. 

     And then it stoped. Well, not completely. "Happy you could drop in,"  Fili muttered sarcastically. Slowly I moved from her figure and looked around. We were on one of the birds now. Far, far away from the ground. Too far. I didn't think to let go of her once. Should she fall, I'd be devastated. 

      Through the clouds and passed the mountains, dawn had arrived again. And finally the eagles landed and one by one we clambered off. Jamie careful let go of my hand and wandered towards Bilbo, to ensure he was okay. The group gathered around Uncle and Gandalf begun chanting. It took a minute, but he opened his blue eyes again. the first thing he wanted to know about was Jamie and Bilbo, but especially Bilbo. 

    "It's alright, he's quite safe." Gandalf assured. Dwalin and I helped him to his feet, though he shook us off. 

   "You! What were you doing?" He asked accusingly of Mr. Baggins. "You nearly got yourself killed." His gaze shifted to Jamie. "You acted with unbelievable recklessness." She straitened her pose, her mind moving a hundred miles a minute. "Did I to say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild. That you had no place amongst us." A glare was laced upon her features as he grew closer to her. "I've never been so wrong in all my life." The shocked expression that made its way onto her face made me smile. Thorin wrapped Bilbo in a hug, and when he let go he turned to her and embraced her, too. She smiled and laughed with tears in her eyes, hugging him back. The rest of us cheered laughed and happily cheered. 

    "But I'm sorry I doubted you. Both of you." He placed one hand on each of their shoulders. "No, I would have doubted me too." Bilbo admitted. "Speak for yourself," Jamie spoke with that charming grin and a joking manner. Both men laughed. "I'm not a hero or a warrior. Not even a burglar." Bilbo spoke softly. 

      The eagles circled us, before disappearing into the sky once again. 

    "Is that what I think it is?" Bilbo asked curiously. "The lonely mountain." Gandalf spoke loudly. "The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of middle-earth." Thorin looks at the mountain, and I made my way closer to them. "Our home." He spoke. Jamie wrapped her arms around my arm and leaned her head on my shoulder with a smile. 

The rest of the company talked amongst themselves, and bilbo said something about the worst being behind us. I momentarily agreed with him. Life was great. I had my family, alive and not so well, Jamie, and my growing feelings for her. I just didn't know how to tell her yet...