Part 9: Jamie

I panicked when the gigantic animal jumped out of the leaves and trees. It took less then a minute for Kili to kill it with an arrow, and I sighed in relief. Thorin went through the dramatic,' this could kill us all!' Thing, and Gandalf yelled at him like he was a child. "This sucks!" I say mostly meant for my self, but apparently someone else heard...everyone else. They stared at me as if I was a waker, and needed to be shot in the head immediately before I bit someone. "What? Is there something on my face?" I question sending out confused glances. Everyone turned their gaze away except Kili. I looked at him and waved.

Before anything else happened we were sprinting out of the forest and into grasslands. We ran and ran and my lungs burned up as if a fire had been set inside them. It was similar to the feeling you get in gym class when the teacher makes you run an extra lap around the track because you made a snide comment about how this skill is useless and you would rather do something important, like read a book or draw...Yeah, totally been there before. I pushed my thoughts away hopping to push away the pain too as I continued to run. The dwarfs were yelling back and forth to each other,but the searing sound collided with the pounding and banging of my heart and drowned out their words. They formed a circle, pushing me towards the center and slowly closed in as the Orc's closed in on them. I drew my katana from its sheath tied around my waist and held it skillfully.

Some of the little men turned and looked at the blade as if it too was a walker. I couldn't understand what was going on with them, It was a blade, and I was person. Why didn't they see that?

My chest heaved and a disappointed look spread across my face as we started running again. Backs pressed against a rock we all panted and looked back and fourth at each other. I was worried, but just in time the wizard appeared out of nowhere and called for us to follow him. We all took turns running across the open plane and behind the rock structure Gandalf had found.

He was really something, showing up just when the dwarfs needed him, always being on time, keeping them in check. It was impressive how he could do all this and still have time on his hands, time to do all of his wizard stuff...I don't really know what wizards do but you get the point.

Finally it was my turn. I put on my brave face and ran as fast as my short legs could carry me, sprinting to the cave with the wind in my hair and my lungs aflame. I could see it. Less than ten feet. Until my legs gave out and I collapsed onto the ground underneath me.

My arms flew to my side in attempt to protect my face but I failed. My head collided with the grass and dirt, and the air was knocked out of me, yet again. The world just loved suffocating me, wether it be trolls, lungs on fire, or face planting into the ground. I wheezed a few times before pushing myself up with shaking arms and limping towards the cave like structure.

Thorin gathered me into his arms and gently helped me down to safety, but not before sending a hateful glare at me. It made me want to cry, his blue eyes could be soft and gentle. But the brutal man chose to keep a constant glare across his features, and his eyes are like ice. Cold, hateful, and makes you slip and face plant.

Once I was in the cave I stood and looked around. It was small and narrow, and there was little to no light. It was quiet except for the shuffling, and so when I herd it I chocked on my own spit. The leader of the company screamed for his nephew, and I instantly turned to look at the opening of the cave. I could only see the sky, but the grass rustled and gained my attention. I was shocked as the body of a pale human like thing rolled down the slanted rock, trailing Kili and his uncle behind it. Thorin pulled an arrow out of the thing and inspected it.

"Elves," he sneered as he viciously threw it to the floor. Something about a path was spoken a few minutes later, but I was busy. I carefully lifted the arrow and held its head close to my face. it reeked and it was blood stained, but the design carved into it was intricate and beautiful.

My thoughts were interrupted when someone lightly pulled at my rolled up sleeve. "Hello, Ori." I say with a light smile, he smiled back and tugged me along with the rest of the company. My shoulders brushed with the sides of the cave walls as we wondered through it. Ori pulled at my sleeve again and with a struggle I turn to see him. He held up the book that I just only now realized would have been gone forever, lost with the ponies. I smiled at him and took it gratefully. I opened it to make sure the writing was still inside.

"I wanted to know what it was about, but I couldn't read it. I was wondering if you could maybe teach me how to read the way you do? My brothers only ever taught me to read in Khuzdul." He fiddled with his knitted sleeves as he spoke, but as he did I smiled. "I would love to teach you, Ori." He looked up and smiled widely, thanking me before turning and telling his brothers about the conversation we had.

I was happy to see him happy, and when his brothers heard they were happy too. At least I think they were. It amazed me how they were so happy. They had their home stripped away from them, and yet there was always a new story to tell and a new song to sing. They never gave up, and it surprised me. They were a real family, a true family. And I felt like I was a part of it, and it felt amazing to be part of a real family again.