Part 13: Kili

I felt pain radiate through my chest as I watched Jamie burry her face into Fili's coat. They were feet away from colliding with the wall of the ravine, and I was afraid. The stones finally collided, but the loud sound of crashing I expected never came.

My ears rung. My head hurt. Hell, my heart hurt.

I have never felt this, but I wanted whatever it was to go away right now.

"FILI!" It took me a second or two to realize that it came from me. I let out a chocked back sob," Jamie.." Then the rock moved away. I closed my eyes tight expecting to just see bodies. The bodies of my brother, and my best friend, and the rest of my Uncles company.

I opened my eyes slowly. The breath was ripped out of my chest when I saw that everyone was alright. My eyes scanned the people as they looked at us. Then noticed them. Jamie was shaking and collapsed into Fili.

she was little taller than all of us when she stood upright, but she seemed to have shrunken into his arms. Her strong build was now petite and breakable looking. Fi quickly lifted her up, swinging his arm under her legs and running towards the rest of the company.

I was crying by the time he set her down. She was shaking so badly she couldn't stand. Fi rested her against me slightly, still helping hold her up a little. My tears mixed with the rain and fell onto her hair, and I was thankful that it was already soaking wet.

I murmured her name over a few times before Bofur froze in his steps.

"Where's Bilbo? Where's the hobbit?" Ori threw his head over and gasped. Then we all turned to look. Fi pushed the Jamie closer to me and ran over to the struggling group. She turned her head to look, and realizing who had fallen whimpered.

She reached out towards Bilbo, but with little to no effort. My heart missed another beat when Thorin swung down and took the hobbit by the hand, yanking him up.

Bilbo ran up to the wall, and was carful not to fall again. Then Thorin was pulled up by Dwalin.

"I thought we lost out burglar..." He said through the rain.

Thorin scowled, " He's been lost ever since he left home. He should never have come, he has no place amongst us. And neither does she." He continued to push through the path. Jamie's chest heaved a little, and she pushed  me in an attempt to stand. When it failed I stepped towards her and caught her.

" You're gonna be ok...I got you." I say as I do what my brother did and lifted her up, holding her tightly. Thorin frowned deeply at me. I looked back at him with worries and fear in my expression.

I followed the line down into a small cave, and we made camp. I sat her down on the hard cold ground, and gave her a smile. Her eyes were red and puffy, but she did her best to smile back at me.

Standing up straight and slinging one of my many coats off I placed it across her lap and went to get something softer to sleep on.

The cave was slightly narrow, but we could still spread out a little. I walked confidently up to my Uncle, even though I felt the exact opposite on the inside.

He dismissed me before I even got close, turning away and shouting out orders at everyone. 'No fire! Sleep now, you need rest! We can't stay and wait for Gandalf!' He was always so bossy.

Most of the blankets had ben lost with the ponies, so the floor was the closest thing to comfortable we were gonna get. Take my word for it when I say it was far from that too. I turned and looked back at her. She was still shaking, but it was a little better than it had been before.

"So..." I murmured as I sat down next to her. She glanced at me as if saying, 'go on', and then turned her attention back to her small feet. My brain froze and I couldn't think of something to say next. I wished she could sing now, just so I could see what was going on in her head. Altho it just didn't work like that.

I sat back a little and kept my eyes on her as she shifted. Slowly she took the bag from off her shoulder and opened the jeweled clip on it. I watched intently as she shuffled the books inside of it until she managed to reach the bottom of the sling.

"Ta-da!" She said half heartedly with a raspy voice as she pulled out a blanket. I smiled at her and helped her unfold it. Tossing it around her shoulders carefully I looked back at her. She looked at me for about a minute before patting me shoulder lightly and saying, "Move."

I was a little hurt as well as confused. I sat forwards a bit, about to stand up until I felt weight on my shoulders. The blanket was now rapped around my shoulders too. I let myself drop back to the floor. She pushed her bag to the opposite side of me, and closed it. She continued then, to look everywhere but at me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I took one of her little hands in mine. "Look at me, Jamie." She tried to pull away but before she could I took her face in my hands, turning it so that I could see her. She tried to hide in her hair, but I carefully brushed it away from in front other eyes.

Her lip was trembling and her eyes held oceans. She pulled her hand from mine and held it to her mouth to suppress a sob. By this point she was crying violently, and the tears fell in waterfalls down her soft scarlet cheeks.

One of my hands remained on her cheek, and the other now rested on her hip. She stayed there defenseless, not being able to move. I pulled her into me, like last night, and placed her onto my lap. She wrapped one arm around my neck, and clutched the coat I had placed across her lap in the other.

I held her head into my neck, like my mother would always do when I cried.

"I was so scared," she sobbed,"I thought..." I shushed her to afraid to her at the end of the sentence. Combing my hands through her long damp hair, I cooed her until her breathing became more steady and the tears no longer fell. She had cried herself to sleep.

I carefully took my coat from her hands and laid it on the floor, and then set her down atop of it. I tossed the blanket onto of her, and carefully took one of the hair elastics off of her wrist.

She tied and untied her hair with them all the time, and eventually my curiosity had gotten the better of me and I questioned her about them. But that isn't the point. Sitting next to her laying form I reached for a strand of her hair. Within a span of twenty minutes it was in a long braid and tied up atop her head.

I was proud of my work and went to sit next to my family. They didn't question me, and eventually we all just fell asleep. That was a stupid idea.