CHAPTER 22: That Skeleton

Time: Unknown
The mysteries of this place surrounds me with emptiness and hope for the lives of the people who used to live here. The aching pain from my ankle dreads on. What could the flower be warning me about?

My blood ran cold through my body, and my skin felt like it paled instantly, when the deep, echoes voice of the echoing flower repeated the last sentence to me. My eyes widened, and I was reluctant to turn around at first, staring at the light glow of the petals and the soft dirt what surrounded the background.

My curiosity got the better of me, and after a short moment of the flower echoing the small, eerie phrase, I slowly turned my body, frozen in place, and it was as stiff as a piece of wood. Turning seems like an eternity, as the repeats of the flower continued, echoing "behind you" very softly. Almost inaudible.

My eyes were glued to the ground as I turned fully, my heart was racing even faster, as if it could fly right out of my chest at that very instant of panic. My human instincts told me to run, and to hide, because my gut only said that danger would come from this situation. However, I could not move fast, so running was not an option I could not consider. My breathing seemed like it had gotten louder—maybe I was focusing too hard on my own bodily functions of fright. Turning fully, I reluctantly raised my head, the weight of my skull never felt so heavy in my entire life, and a beat of sweat went down my back, creating a slight shiver from my now shaking body. I blinked, my heart was racing faster.

I looked at an empty abyss of black and beautiful dark blue. Nothing was there.

I sighed, smiling slightly at my stupid freak out, and smacked my forehead with a slight chuckle of disappointment from my actions. I spun around on my heel one more, putting weight on my good foot and turning, putting my hand on my chest to calm my racing heart. I stared at the ground, only to notice a pair of pink slippers peeking out from behind the flower from my close gaze. My heart then stopped as I lifted my head to meet... life.

"Heya." The skeleton in front of me said, grinning with lazy eyes. "I think I've got something of yours, Girly." He said, raising my device to about eye level to show me what he had. "The Questions is..." he trailed off, as I had a lack of words to say. My words caught in my throat. "What are you gonna do about it?" He grinned, chuckling a bit, causing the flower to echo his laughs menacingly.

I looked at his features, backing up slightly, as I could remember the skeleton on TV, who murdered all those people in front of a live camera, and then laughed through it. "....you!" I gasped, backing up, pressing weight onto my bad foot as I backed up, and I tumbled to the ground with a yelp. "You're... that skeleton!" I pointed at him with wide, frightened eyes. My ankle stung. I hissed in pain, and his eyes darted to it immediately, making him let out another wide grin. "How...—?" I trailed off. He wasn't supposed to be in here! How did he get in? Chara said—!

Chara knew. Why would I trust her now anyways?

"Wow, I'm flattered." The skeleton let out an amused chuckle. "You actually recognize me." He grinned, walking in front of the echoing flower with a sadistic grin. "I would have thought that you would have forgotten me after all this time." He smiled, tossing my homemade device carelessly towards me, having it land just barely next to my head. It made a few rattling noises, and the screen was very cracked from what I could see. "I thought you'd want this back. I figured I'd be nice for once. It's the one thing you never showed us." He spat, looking in my eyes of terror. He hummed.

It seems like he's showing signs of insanity. Either that, or he's a sadist. That grin, the laughter, and even it seems like he is confusing me with another person.

I can't help but notice he referred to himself as 'us'. Who is the other?

"That expression you have.." He trailed off, putting his hands into his hoodie pockets, and pulling out a knife ever so carefully. "It makes me sick." He spat, playing with the pointed end of the knife. I was shaking as soon as I saw the knife, and I began to crawl backwards, my eyes were started to water up. "It makes you look so innocent. Like your sins crawling on your back just... disappeared." He said. "They don't just disappear." He looked at me with wide, confused eyes, and grinned. "What did you do to your foot? Looks broken, Girly." He smiled, taking a step forward. "I wonder who could have done that?" He sang to himself.

He neared me, his expression was getting angrier and angrier. My mind was in a blank. I couldn't speak, I couldn't run. My tears threatened to fall down my face, which only made him more angry rather than sorry. His eyes, though only hollow pinpricks, told a story of suffering and anger, however, it looks like he left it all behind when he gave in to the madness inside of him. What happened to him?

"Why are you acting like you haven't done ANYTHING?" He yelled, his face nearing mine to stare closely into my eyes. "You think you're free of the consequences of your actions, but you're not." He grinned, speaking softly in my ear, and my heart started beating faster. My senses came back, and I looked for a way of escape, my head dared not to move, but my eyes widened, and my breathing sped up. "I bet you've noticed that none of your playthings are here." He grinned, chuckling darkly. "That's because they're all dead." He laughed.

That triggered it. I pushed him out of the way and scrambled to my feet, grunting at the surprising heaviness of him, and stumbled getting up due to my injury. He growled, and quickly got to his feet as I tried to run away from him. "LOOK, PAPYRUS! SHE'S TRYING TO RUN FROM ME! From US!" He laughed mechanically and insanely, rushing Towards me as I looked back slightly to see him not there anymore. I looked in front of me, only to run into the skeleton with a thump, and collapsed to the ground as he now towered over me.

"You can't run from your sins." He spat, and his arms came down on my head with the butt if the knife towards me, and his wide smile contradicted his angry eyes.

And suddenly, that was the last thing I had seen.